What is a burrito bowl, you ask? Think of all the ingredients you’d love in a burrito, but instead it is served in a bowl, without the tortilla. These grilled veggie burrito bowls are so flavorful, and it all starts with the rice!
This rice might not look like anything special, but it is loaded with flame-roasted Hatch green chile. These grilled veggie burrito bowls would also taste amazing with cilantro lime rice or even simple fluffy white rice.
If you are familiar with my shop page, you will notice that I share ingredients that I highly recommend, and Mahatma rice is my go-to rice. Mahatma rice is easy to prepare, economical, versatile, and a healthy complement to any meal.
I am honored that Mahatma asked to partner with me as a brand ambassador. I am excited to announce that I will be sharing tasty rice-based recipes with you every month.
I share products that I stand behind and believe in, and I trust Mahatma to deliver superior taste and an authenticity to my kitchen that honors the tradition of the Mexican-inspired recipes I share.
I love to grill. But if you don’t own a grill, don’t worry—all these veggies can be grilled on a grill pan on your stove top.
I set out all the ingredients on my kitchen island and let my kids make their own burrito bowls.
To create your grilled veggie burrito bowl, first start with the Hatch green chile rice. Then, add warm pinto beans, roasted corn, grilled Portobello mushrooms, bell peppers, yellow squash, and any other toppings you love—like homemade guacamole and pico de gallo salsa—and serve with lime wedges.
This meal is great for anyone whose diet is vegetarian, plant-based, or vegan. These colorful bowls are easy to whip together, filling, and packed with all of the Mexican flavors I love.
Photography by Jenna Sparks
This post is in partnership with Mahatma. As always, thank you for reading and for supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.
Grilled Veggie Burrito Bowls with Hatch Green Chile Rice
Hatch Green Chile Rice:
Hatch Green Chile Rice:
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and add rice. Stir until rice is slightly browned.
- Add green chile, water, and salt.
- Bring the rice to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and simmer until the rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with salt if needed. Fluff rice with a fork. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Arrange equal parts of the rice and the sliced and grilled veggies in bowls. Top with corn, pinto beans, guacamole, and pico de gallo. Season with salt and pepper as needed and serve immediately.