I love summer, but forget how hot it can get and how lazy it makes me. Hot weather outside makes me not want to be inside in the kitchen. I’m sure you can relate if the temps are soaring where you live.
Believe it or not, I stare in my fridge somedays and wonder what I’ll be making for dinner. Being a food blogger does not make me a magician and there are days I just don’t know what to make.
I too need inspiration from time to time and when I purchased the What’s Gaby Cooking cookbook I couldn’t wait to cook simple, healthy recipes featuring fresh produce perfect for summer. The gorgeous sunny photos in the cookbook also have me craving a California vacation.
If you are a fan of the carefree California lifestyle, you will love Gaby’s blog and her cookbook. Her recipes are a celebration of the perfect balance of healthy weeknight meals like salads and some indulging goodies like brownies. Now who wouldn’t want that existence?
With corn in peak season I couldn’t help but roast corn and make this Summer Chipotle Chicken Cobb Salad.
This ain’t your average cobb salad. This one features summer ingredients like roasted corn, creamy avocado slices, juicy strawberries, crispy bacon, and smoky chipotle grilled chicken drizzled in a fresh, light, and tangy lemon vinaigrette. Need I say more? This salad oozes summer.
Summer Chipotle Chicken Cobb Salad
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless breasts (I used 1 pound breast tenderloins)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 3 to 4 cups mixed greens
- 4 strips applewood-smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 8 to 10 strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 ears of corn on the cob, roasted, kernels removed in strips
- 1 to 2 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Combine the oil, chipotles, garlic powder, oregano, and black pepper in a small bowl. Place the chicken in a large zip-top bag and add the marinade. Zip the bag and mix the chicken into the marinade to coat. Place in the fridge and let in marinade for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- Heat an outdoor grill or grill pan to about 400 degrees F (medium- high heat). Place the chicken on the grill and grill for 5 to 6 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice the chicken against the grain.
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Adjust the salt and pepper as needed. The dressing will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Arrange the greens on a large platter and top with bacon, strawberries, corn, avocado, and grilled chicken and season with salt and pepper. Toss with the vinaigrette and serve.
I’d love to see what you cook!
Tag #MUYBUENOCOOKING if you make this recipe.
Photography by Jenna Sparks