I’m sure you’ve heard that making authentic mole is a labor-intensive process. What if I told you that you could make mole in the slow cooker just in time to celebrate Dia de los Muertos? I have been on a mission to try it and let me just say it turned out pretty darn fantabulous.
The best part is that I had all the ingredients to make the sauce in my kitchen…happy dance!
This mole is made with pork, but can easily be substituted with chicken thighs or breasts. The flavor of chipotle and pork are one of my favorite combinations.
Mexican chocolate, chile, and spices add richness to this mole. Simmer it in a slow cooker along with pork for a warming weeknight meal.
Just blend everything up, put it in the slow cooker with some pork, and forget about it for 6 to 8 hours.
Serve this mole as an entrée with a side of cilantro lime rice or topped on sopes. This pork mole would also make a great filling for tacos or tamales.
Slow Cooker Pork Mole
- 4 pounds bone-in pork sirloin
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 4 dried California or New Mexico red chile pods
- 1 corn tortilla
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 4 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 (3.3 ounce) tablet Mexican chocolate
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Pre-made sopes
- Avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- Queso fresco, crumbled
- Season both sides of the pork with salt and pepper and place in the slow cooker.
- Remove stems, seeds, and veins from the chile pods. In a medium saucepan, bring dried chiles and 1 cup of water to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the chiles have softened. Place softened chiles in blender and discard water.
- Place corn tortilla over open flame and cook until burnt and crispy. Cut up and place in blender.
- Place all of the remaining ingredients in a blender and blend on high until you have a smooth consistency, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour the sauce into the slow cooker over pork.
- Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low.
- Transfer the cooked pork to a cutting board, and using two forks, shred the meat, discard the bones, and return meat to slow cooker.
- To assemble, place a warm sope on a serving plate; spoon on some pork mole, slices of ripe avocado, and crumbled queso fresco.