This guilt-free and flavorful Skinny Margarita is so simple to make with a handful of ingredients – quality tequila, fresh lime juice, fresh orange juice (in place of high-calorie orange liqueur), and agave nectar.
What is a Skinny Margarita?
A skinny margarita is basically a low-calorie version of a classic margarita made with tequila, fresh lime juice, fresh orange juice (in place of high-calorie orange liqueur), and agave nectar.
Did you know tequila is the lowest-calorie booze you can buy? Seriously! Pure agave tequila (100 percent agave) is low in sugar and only has 69 calories per ounce.
Watch this fun video to learn how to make two skinny margaritas, but you can easily scale this recipe for a crowd.
Homemade vs Restaurant Margaritas
The number of calories in a restaurant margarita will depend on how they make it. On average, there are 200 calories in a small fruit-flavored restaurant margarita.
Frozen blender drinks made with sugary mixes are crazy high in calories. A frozen margarita can easily be 500-plus calories, unless it’s a homemade frozen margarita.
If you make margs at home, your margarita calories will depend on the ingredients.
My advice to anyone making margaritas at home is to stay away from pre-made mixers, because they are usually full of sugar and calories.
This skinny margarita recipe is prepared with fresh citrus juices with a splash of tequila and a bit of agave nectar to sweeten.
How to make skinny margaritas
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, 1 ounce fresh lime juice, 1 ounce fresh orange juice, 2 ounces tequila tequila, and 1 teaspoon agave nectar. Shake to combine.
Strain the cocktail over two salt-rimmed glasses and garnish with a lime or orange wheel.
Remember that if you drink just one, then you can enjoy a skinny margarita and stick to your diet. Obviously, if you drink more than one serving, then the calories will add up.
- Decrease the amount of alcohol
- Add lots of ice
- Add a bit of sparkling water to make your cocktail bubbly
Margarita Pitcher Recipe
Hosting a fiesta and want to make a pitcher of skinny margaritas? Scroll down to the recipe card below and change the “yield” to 10.
In a pitcher, combine 10 ounces tequila, 5 ounces fresh lime juice (around 5 limes), 5 ounces fresh orange juice (about 3 medium oranges), and 2 tablespoons agave nectar. Mix well and serve over ice. Don’t forget to rim glasses with coarse salt and garnish with lime and orange slices.
What is a Cadillac Margarita?
A Cadillac margarita is similar to a classic margarita, but with premium ingredients such as top-shelf tequila and orange liqueur.
Instead of using an orange-liqueur like triple sec, Cointreau or Grand-Marnier, a skinny margarita uses fresh orange juice and a small amount of agave nectar.
Top Shelf Tequila
Most standard margarita recipes use tequila blanco that has only been aged less than two months. But if you want to make a Cadillac margarita, you’ll want to use a top shelf tequila. Try a sipping tequila from the añejo category: The 19 Best Sipping Tequilas.
Orange liqueur is a sweetened alcoholic beverage with orange flavoring. There are numerous orange liqueurs on the market, such as Grand Marnier and triple sec. For more information, read this Guide to Orange Liqueur.
Once your skinny margarita is poured into a glass filled with ice, float in a shot of Grand Marnier and watch it delicately swim down into the glass. Once the Grand Marnier is poured it gives the margarita an elegant glow!
Beware: Adding an orange liqueur will not be a “skinny margarita” because the liqueur adds calories from sugar.
My favorite tools to make this margarita recipe
- I used a simple citrus juicer like this one
- I love this blue enamel cocktail shaker
- For perfect ice cubes I love these ice trays
More Muy Bueno Margaritas
- Margarita on the Rocks
- Classic Frozen Margarita
- Mangonada Margaritas
- Highland Margarita
- Charred Citrus and Jalapeño Margarita
- Lavender Lemon Margarita
- Cherry Limeade Margaritas
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!
I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce orange juice
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar (optional)
- 1 ounce Grand Marnier or Triple sec per margarita for a Cadillac margarita
Pitcher of Skinny Margaritas (10 drinks)
- 10 ounces tequila
- 5 ounces fresh lime juice (around 5 limes)
- 5 ounces fresh orange juice (about 3 medium oranges)
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- Run a lime wedge around the rim of a glass and dip in coarse salt. Fill the glass with ice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, fresh lime juice, orange juice, and tequila, and agave nectar. Shake to combine.
- Strain the cocktail over prepared glasses and garnish with a lime or orange wheel.
- For a Cadillac Margarita, serve with a shot of Grand Marnier.
Pitcher of Skinny Margaritas
- Combine ingredients well and serve over ice. Don’t forget to garnish rims of glasses with coarse salt lime and orange slices.
- Select a gentle and good-quality tequila.
- Fresh lime and orange juice are a MUST in this recipe.
- 1 orange = 1/4 cup or 2 to 3 ounces
- 1 lime = 2 tablespoons fresh juice (1 ounce)
- For a Cadillac margarita serve with Grand Marnier on the side (orange liqueur is not “skinny”).
- Grand Marnier and triple sec contain more calories than tequila because they are liqueurs, deriving added calories from sugar.
- The nutrition in this drink does not include Grand Marnier or triple sec.
Photography by Jenna Sparks
Originally published: June 2020.