This guilt-free and flavorful Skinny Margarita is so simple to make with a handful of ingredients – quality tequila, fresh orange and lime juice, and agave nectar.
What is a skinny margarita you ask? Basically, fresh citrus juices with a splash of tequila.
Did you know tequila is the lowest-calorie booze you can buy? Seriously! Pure agave tequila (100 percent agave) is low in sugar and only has 69 calories per ounce.
Homemade vs Restaurant Margaritas
The number of calories in a restaurant margarita will depend on how they make it. On average there are 200 calories in a small fruit-flavored restaurant margarita.
Frozen blender drinks made with sugary mixes are crazy high in calories. A frozen margarita can easily be 500-plus calories.
If you make margs at home, your margarita calories will depend on the ingredients.
My advice to anyone making margaritas at home is to stay away from pre-made mixers, because they are usually full of sugar and calories.
This skinny margarita recipe is prepared with fresh citrus juices with a splash of tequila and a bit of agave nectar to sweeten.
Remember that if you drink just one, then you can enjoy a skinny margarita and stick to your diet. Obviously, if you drink more than one serving, then the calories will add up.
- Decrease the amount of alcohol
- Add lots of ice
- Add a bit of sparkling water to make your cocktail bubbly
What makes it a Cadillac margarita? The premium ingredients and the delicious balance of flavors!
Once your skinny margarita is poured into a glass filled with ice, float in a shot of Grand Marnier and watch it delicately swim down into the glass.
Once the Grand Marnier is poured it gives the margarita an elegant glow!
Beware: Adding Grand Marnier will not be a “skinny margarita”.
The top shelf ingredients in this Cadillac margarita are premium Exotico tequila blanco, unaged 100% blue agave tequila and Grand Marnier or triple sec, a cognac and orange liqueur.
More Muy Bueno Margaritas
- Mangonada Margaritas
- Highland Margarita
- Charred Citrus and Jalapeño Margarita
- Lavender Lemon Margarita
- Cherry Limeade Margaritas
If you’ve tried this skinny margarita or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
- 1 ounce orange juice
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces Exotico tequila blanco
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar (optional)
- 1 ounce Grand Marnier or Triple sec per margarita for a Cadillac margarita (optional)
- Run a lime wedge around the rim of a glass and dip in salt. Fill the glass with ice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, fresh orange and lime juice, tequila, and agave nectar. Shake to combine.
- Strain the cocktail over the prepared glass and garnish with a lime or orange wheel.
- For a Cadillac margarita, serve with a shot of Grand Marnier.
- Select a gentle and good-quality tequila blanco.
- Fresh orange and lime juice are a MUST in this recipe.
- Grand Marnier and triple sec contain more calories than tequila because they are liqueurs, deriving added calories from sugar.
- For a Cadillac margarita serve with Grand Marnier on the side (orange liqueur is not “skinny”).
- The nutrition in this drink does not include Grand Marnier or triple sec.
- Juicing tips: The best way to juice oranges and limes is with this hand-held juicer. Citrus at room temperature is easier to juice than cold citrus. Roll citrus back and forth on cutting board before cutting to release citrus.
Photography by Jenna Sparks.
This post is in partnership with Exotico. As always, thank you for reading and for supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.