Hope you had a fabulous Christmas. We hosted and had a full house of family and friends, and a full menu.
My mom is in town and she made dozens and dozens of tamales: red chile and pork and rajas con queso. On our Christmas menu we also made pozole rojo, shrimp cocktail, frijoles de la olla, chile con queso, smoked turkey, stuffing, and pineapple empanadas.
And those dishes don’t even include the contributed dishes my family made.
As you can imagine we overindulged a bit, and now its time to share a light dish. This salad is a great side dish to ring in the New Year or to celebrate Día de Los Reyes (Three Kings Day).
In the fall and winter I have a slight obsession with persimmons. I especially love Fuyu persimmons, which are amazingly sweet when fully ripe.
This colorful salad is made with sliced persimmons on a bed of arugula salad. Drizzled with a vanilla mint yoghurt and sprinkled with pomegranate seeds and candied walnuts. The vanilla mint yoghurt adds bright flavor to balance the rich goat cheese and candied walnuts.
This salad reminds me of the flavors in this Ensalada de Noche Buena (Christmas Eve Salad) and is a welcome addition to any table.
Persimmon and Goat Cheese Salad with a Vanilla Mint Yoghurt Dressing
Persimmon and Goat Cheese Salad:
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 firm Fuyu persimmons, peeled, and sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Candied walnuts
Vanilla Mint Yoghurt Dressing:
- 1 cup Mountain High vanilla yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- Combine arugula and persimmon slices on a large platter.
- In a bowl combine the yoghurt, honey, and mint. (The dressing may be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled.)
- Just before serving, drizzle with Vanilla Mint Yoghurt Dressing, and top with goat cheese, pomegranate seeds, and candied walnuts.
I’d love to see what you cook!
Tag #MUYBUENOCOOKING if you make this recipe.
Photography by Jenna Sparks
This post is in partnership with Mountain High Yoghurt. As always, thank you for reading and for supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.