Mexican Street Corn Salad + Video
If you love Mexican street corn as much as I do, you will love the combination of flavors in this healthy Mexican Street Corn Salad. Its creamy, spicy, salty, and citrusy, it’s the perfect light side dish.
I’m a Mexican street corn lover! I can never pass up an elotero (corn on the cob vendor). I love Mexican street corn, elote en vaso (also called esquites), and now, I am obsessed over this Mexican street corn salad.
Traditional Mexican street corn is slathered with butter and mayonnaise or crema after boiled or grilled, but in this recipe, I brushed each corn with avocado oil and grilled it till perfectly charred.
This corn salad takes all the elements of the popular smoky, sweet corn and combines them into a warm, easy-to-eat salad perfect for a side dish.
Dressing and toppings
After the corn is grilled (and cool to the touch) slice the kernels off the corn and combine them with juicy cherry tomatoes and spicy jalapeños. Drizzle with a dressing made of avocado oil, lime juice, hot sauce, seasoning salt, and chili seasoning.
The dressing is similar in flavor to the toppings you’ll find on Mexican street corn. But instead of butter and mayonnaise or crema, I’m using avocado oil, which is much healthier.
Tastefully Simple’s TSEatWellÒ products can be purchased online and are clean-label foods that contain no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
- Tastefully Simple® Avocado Oil. Feel free to substitute with olive oil.
- Lime Juice. Freshly squeezed.
- Hot Sauce. I prefer Valentina hot sauce on my Mexican street corn.
- Tastefully Simple®Seasoned Salt. This seasoning is a blend of spices, bell peppers, celery, and sea salt.
- Tastefully Simple® Wahoo Chili Seasoning. This seasoning is a flavorful medley of chili pepper, garlic, and chipotle.
The salad is then sprinkled with cilantro and queso cotija and slices of jalapeño, because I like it spicy.
How to serve
You can serve this Mexican street corn salad just after you make it, although it also tastes great chilled. It’s a great make-ahead option for cookouts and picnics! This corn salad can be served at room temperature or cold.
If you don’t have a grill you can easily remove the kernels from the cob and char the corn kernels on the stovetop in a cast iron pan, and even though there’s no open flame, the kernels still pick up that smokiness that makes this dish so great.
Another alternative is to boil corn kernels until tender.
No fresh corn on the cob?
When fresh corn is out of season, you can easily swap in thawed frozen corn, but know that thawed frozen corn will be slightly softer than fresh.
Watch this video to see how simple this Mexican street corn salad comes together.
More Mexican street food dishes
- Elote en Vaso (Corn in a Cup)
- Huaraches Topped with Chorizo Refried Beans
- Tacos al Pastor
Have you made this Mexican street corn salad? Rate the recipe and leave me a comment below to let me know how it turned out! To get more Muy Bueno recipes delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for my email newsletter.
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili seasoning
- 5 corn on the cob, husked
- Avocado oil, for brushing
- 10 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1-2 jalapeños, diced or sliced
- Cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup cotija, crumbled
- In a bowl or mason jar, combine the avocado oil, lime juice, hot sauce, salt, and chili. Stir or shake and set aside.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Brush the corn with avocado oil and grill until char marks form. Remove from grill and let cool.
- Slice the kernels off the corn and add to a large bowl along with the tomatoes and jalapeño. Drizzle in the dressing. Stir to coat, then add cilantro and cheese.
- Season to taste and serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.
- If you do not have seasoned salt and chili seasoning, replace with ½ teaspoon of kosher salt and ½ teaspoon of your favorite chili powder.
- The corn can be cooked up to a day in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature for about 15 minutes before assembling the salad.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Include the 10% promo offer using code: “MUYBUENO.” Good though Sept. 30, 2020 at TastefullySimple.com.
- Nutrition does not include extra avocado oil for brushing corn.
Photos by Jenna Sparks / Video by Pure Cinematography
This post is sponsored by Tastefully Simple. Personal opinions and thoughts are my own.
One Comment on “Mexican Street Corn Salad + Video”
I absolutely love this recipe! Such a great find and worth trying. I use frozen corn and tastes just as good and saves some time.