If you love the vintage look and saving money, this DIY is just for you! Mercury glass is one of our favorites, but not the high prices. We decided to investigate our options and came up with this low cost, simple DIY. For less than $10 to $15 you too can create and enjoy your own mercury glass!
The best thing about this craft is that you can turn nearly any clear glass object into stylish mercury glass. Look at these gorgeous mercury glass pumpkins, candy dishes, and jars. Similar glassware can be found at second-hand or thrift stores (not to mention we’ve donated many). From now on, we’re saving all things glass. And after you see how inexpensive and easy this craft is, we think you’ll want to as well.
Our mercury glass votives helped create the perfect mood for our Dia de los Muertos celebration. The flickering candlelight amongst the pictures of our loved ones was magical and set the perfect stage for reminiscing and remembering our roots. Along with our guests, we enjoyed traveling back in time, and these little votives were the perfect accessory to help spirits find their way home.
With all the upcoming holidays these votives would look lovely for a Thanksgiving and/or Christmas tablescape too.
- Krylon Looking Glass Spray Paint
- Votives or any small glass vases
- Spray bottle
- Paper towels
TIP: Since you will be spraying the inside of your votives; it may be easier with the wider-mouth glasses.
- Fill a spray bottle half with vinegar and half water.
- Using the Krylon Look Glass Spray Paint, paint the inside of the votive using short bursts while turning the glass to cover all the walls.
- Immediately, use the water and vinegar spray bottle to gently leave random drops of water on the fresh paint.
- Use the paper towels to blot, not rub, the inside of the glass.
- Repeat this about 5 or 6 times or until you are happy with the results!