Last summer, I read about a blogger, Jennie of In Jennie’s Kitchen, who lost her husband Mikey unexpectedly. You can read the “for Mikey” post here. Mikey loved creamy peanut butter pie and so food bloggers worldwide made peanut butter pies for their loved ones to help in Jennie’s healing process. Such a bittersweet memory forever engraved in my mind. When I heard of Jennie’s story and the pie for her husband Mikey it made me think about my own husband and how I’d never made his favorite pie.
I decided this would be the year I would make him his favorite pie – I guess Jennie’s story really hit home with me and her sweet words continue to ring in my mind. Hug them like there’s no tomorrow because today is the only guarantee we can count on. I did not have the courage to make the peanut butter pie for the man I love that day, but instead I promised myself I’d make his favorite pie one day. Well that day is finally here.
I have never made a key lime pie before, and it’s very sad because it’s my hubby’s favorite dessert. When I saw this Lemon-and-lime icebox pie with a chocolate graham-cracker crust recipe on the Homesick Texan blog I knew he would love it and I told myself I’d make it for his next birthday. I don’t know what I’d do without my husband. As corny as it sounds he truly does complete me. We are total opposites and yet we balance each other out, a ying and yang of sorts. We often forget to stop and smell the roses in this crazy thing called life. Often times it’s those who are closest to us that we take for granted and really shouldn’t. So this pie is a tribute to you babe. Te amo!
I dedicate this recipe to you on your 41st birthday. Happy birthday sweetie!
What is your special someone’s favorite dessert or dish?
Lemon-and-lime icebox pie with a chocolate graham-cracker crust
For the chocolate graham-cracker crust:
- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed graham crackers (about 8 large rectangles)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted, still warm
For the lemon and lime filling:
- 1 (8-ounce) package of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (14-ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream and fresh blueberries for topping
- To make the crust, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan. In a food processor or with a rolling pin, finely crush the graham crackers until they’re the texture of sand. Mix well the graham crackers with the cocoa, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt. Stir in the warm, melted butter until a dark dough is formed.
- Pat the dough into the pie pan, using your hands, a measuring cup or a spoon to get it even. Bake for 7 minutes and then let the crust cool for one hour.
- To make the filling, in a blender mix together the cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, lime juice, lemon zest, lime zest, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Pour into the cooled crust, and refrigerate covered with plastic wrap for at least 2 hours to set the filling.
- Serve with whipped cream and fresh blueberries on top.