I love serving a side salad with dinner, but sometimes I get bored of greens and wanted to come up with a side dish that can act as a side and a salad combined.
The best part about this Garbanzo Bean Salad is that it becomes more flavorful after a couple of days in the refrigerator, so it is the perfect make-ahead dish for a potluck or for meal planning.
Garbanzo beans, also known as chickpeas are a healthy carbohydrate and a great source of fiber and protein.
This salad is a great start to being healthy. Chickpeas are popular in the health food world because of the large amount of fiber, protein, and good carbs they contain. If you’re looking to drop a couple of pounds, this salad or chickpeas in general are a great addition to your diet.
This colorful Gabranzo Bean Salad is loaded with tomato, cucumber, and goat cheese and tossed in a slightly spicy and tangy dressing.
I have been enjoying this salad for lunch served over cooked quinoa and topped with pickled red onions.
Garbanzo Bean Salad
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained, or 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 to matoes chopped
- 1 English cucumber chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 jalapeño finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Radish slices optional
- Cilantro optional
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese optional
- In a large bowl, add the chickpeas, tomato, and cucumber.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice and jalapeno, and season to taste with salt.
- Add the dressing to the chickpea mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately or chill up to four days.
- Before serving, garnish with radishes, cilantro, and goat cheese.
Photography by Jenna Sparks