Happy Labor Day weekend amigos. We all work very hard and deserve to celebrate this Labor Day weekend.
I’m so excited…my mom is visiting and we will be hosting a cookout with family and friends. It’s our last hurrah to celebrate summer.
This three-day holiday weekend is the perfect time to make some cocktails and you will want to add this margarita to your menu. They are very simple to make — blend some watermelon in the blender, squeeze a lime, add some mezcal, and shake, shake, shake.
Sure, I could have called this drink a watermelon mezcal margarita on the rocks, but that’s boring. I’m calling this a Frida Mezkahlo! Get it? It’s a pretty pink margarita inspired by Frida Kahlo, but made with mezcal. I’m so punny, I can’t even stand it.
This Frida Mezkahlo Margarita is a little smoky and a little sweet and served in a Tajin rimmed glass, garnished with jalapeño slices makes it a little spicy just like my girl Frida.
Watch my video to get the fiesta started.
Frida Mezkahlo Margarita
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 ounces añejo mezcal , or tequila
- Tajin , or coarse salt for rimming
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- Place cubed watermelon in a blender and puree until smooth. Feel free to strain, but I did not.
- Scatter tajin or coarse salt onto a plate. Use a lime half to wet the rim of a glass.
- Dip the rim of the glass into the tajin until the edge is covered. Fill the glass with crushed ice.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add 3 ounces of watermelon juice, lime juice, and mezcal.
- Shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Strain into two glasses. Garnish with jalapeño slices.
- Tajin is a seasoning powder consisting of chile peppers, salt, and dehydrated lime juice. Get it here.