Making homemade paella does not have to be complicated or intimidating. This is an easy seafood paella that is made with shrimp and mussels and comes together in under 30 minutes. The best part is that a fancy paella pan is not needed.
Traditionally, when making classic Spanish paella, paella rice is usually recommended, but in this recipe, I used Mahatma’s organic white rice.
Paella is usually flavored and colored with saffron, a very expensive spice. I used paprika, which is less expensive but still very flavorful.
This paella is cooked in a vegetable broth, simmered with roasted bell peppers, jalapeño slices, and paprika, giving this paella a mild kick.
The shrimp and mussels give this paella a fancy experience for a fraction of the price in a restaurant. This easy seafood paella has classic Spanish flavors and is a crowd-pleaser.
Make this dinner any weeknight to serve your family. It’s super delicious, comforting, and at the same time very light. Serve this paella family-style with slices of baguette for a complete meal.
This paella can be made with authentic Mahatma grains such as parboiled medium grain rice, but also works very well with Mahatma white rice — its long, slender grains become fluffy and delicious when cooked.
Easy Seafood Paella
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained, cut into thin strips
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ¼ cups Mahatma white rice , or parboiled medium grain rice
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound raw large shrimp, peeled
- 20 mussels
- 1 jalapeño, sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Heat oil in a deep, heavy skillet or paella pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, cook for 2 minutes, add garlic and bell pepper to skillet with paprika, salt, and pepper. Sauté until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice for 1 minute to slightly toast.
- Add broth and bring to a rolling boil, uncovered.
- Reduce heat and simmer, cover with aluminum foil and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in shrimp, mussels, jalapeño, and cilantro and cover. Cook until shrimp is cooked and mussels open, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let rest, covered until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
- Serve this paella family-style with slices of baguette for a complete meal.
- This paella can be made with authentic Mahatma grains such as parboiled medium grain rice, but also works very well with Mahatma white rice — its long, slender grains become fluffy and delicious when cooked.
Photography by Jenna Sparks
This post is in partnership with Mahatma. As always, thank you for reading and for supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.