These Chicken Stuffed Hatch Chiles are stuffed with a spicy mixture of chicken, corn kernels, and queso Oaxaca in a rich and flavorful cilantro cream sauce. Every bite is an explosion of Mexican flavors.
Roasted Hatch chiles are the most important ingredient for this recipe. If Hatch chile is not in season you can purchase Anaheim green chiles (but don’t tell anyone from New Mexico). Or for a very mild version use poblanos.
This is a great dish to serve a crowd and it can be assembled a day or two before and baked as soon as your guests enter your home. You’ll want your guests to smell this dish while it bakes and witness it coming out of the oven.
It is a show stopper and the best part is the cheese bubbling making these stuffed roasted chiles extra special.
I found this recipe in a Better Homes & Garden magazine and once I saw the photo I knew I had to give it a try.
These chiles are stuffed with cooked chicken, but can easily be substituted with shrimp for a Lent friendly alternative, similar to these Cheese and Shrimp Stuffed Poblanos. Unlike that recipe, this dish is made in a baking dish, so you can bet every serving will be piping hot, which I love.
WHAT KIND OF CHILE CAN BE USED?
Hatch chiles are not available year-round or sold everywhere. The next best chile pepper is Anaheim, which are readily available year-round. For a milder chile pepper, try poblanos.
Hatch chile comes in mild, medium, and hot, so select the peppers depending on your heat tolerance.
ROAST CHILE PEPPERS
If you are unsure how to roast chile peppers, please refer to this blog post: How to roast chile peppers.
MORE Chile Rellenos (Stuffed Chile Pepper) RECIPES:
- Chiles Rellenos
- Chiles Rellenos Topped with Green Chile Salsa
- Chiles en Nogada (Stuffed Poblano Chiles with Walnut Sauce)
- Quinoa and Pesto Shrimp Stuffed Pasillas
- Poblanos Stuffed with Picadillo
- Mushroom and Poblano Risotto
- Poblanos Stuffed with Chorizo and Chayote
- Stuffed Poblano Chiles in White Rice
- Chiles Rellenos de Camarones y Queso (Cheese and Shrimp Stuffed Poblanos)
Chicken Stuffed Hatch Chiles (Chiles Rellenos de Pollo)
Chicken Stuffed Hatch Chiles:
Chicken-Stuffed Hatch Chiles:
- Fire up a comal on the stovetop. Rinse the chiles and pierce each with a knife. Place them on the comal and let them roast evenly. You will have to keep an eye on them, making sure to turn them over until all sides are roasted. When done, the skins should be evenly blistered and mostly black.
- Place roasted chiles into a plastic bag and close the bag. Cover the plastic bag with a kitchen towel. The steam will help the blackened skin to separate. When cool, rub off the blackened skin, careful to keep the stem intact on the chiles.
- Using a small sharp knife, carefully slit chiles open along 1 side. Remove seeds, leaving stems attached. Set aside to fill later.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium-high. Add corn; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add chili powder; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes. Stir in chicken, cheese, egg, salt, and black pepper.
- Spoon ¼ cup of the filling onto each chile pepper.
Cilantro Cream Sauce:
- In a small saucepan melt butter over medium. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth. Add half-and-half. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Stir in cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Coat a rectangular baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour Cilantro Cream Sauce in the prepared baking dish. Arrange peppers, filling sides up, in sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until filling is heated through.
Originally published: February 2019.
Photography by Jenna Sparks