Only a few days left and my kiddos go back to school. Seriously, where did the summer go? My daughter will be entering middle school and my li’l guy will be starting kindergarten. Both are very excited to start, I on the other hand am in denial that my babies are growing up.
They have their new school uniforms, bag packs, water bottles, lunch boxes, and as always my daughter has a menu list of recipes she’d like for me to pack for lunch. She cuts out magazine photos and makes a menu list for me every year (if only I can be that organized).
I have to admit that even though I’m always developing new recipes I still find myself in a lunch packing rut. I’m guilty of packing traditional sandwiches, tortas, pitas, quesadillas, burritos, pastas, salads, and soups. My kiddos never complain, but I’m on a mission this year to plan ahead, pack the night before, and try new creative recipes such as these colorful wraps.
As an ambassador for California Strawberries I thought it would be fun to incorporate strawberries into the main dish. This recipe is a perfect way to use leftover roasted chicken to whip up this chicken salad studded with creamy avocado, sweet strawberries, and crunchy almonds. Wrap it up in a soft spinach tortilla and it’s a healthy lunchbox-friendly meal.
Speaking of strawberries – Be sure to hop on over to the California Strawberries site for awesome back-to-school lunch tips and a chance to win a PlanetBox Rover Lunchbox. These lunch boxes are eco-friendly, made of stainless steel, and they are dishwasher safe. I love the individual compartments and that they are made out of safe, non-toxic, and recycled materials — no lead, PVC, phthalates, or BPA. Make sure you go and enter here!
Chicken Strawberry Salad Wrap
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Spinach tortilla wraps
- leafy greens or romaine lettuce
- skinless boneless rotisserie chicken breast,, shredded
- 1/2 cup quartered strawberries
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- ¼ red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- To prepare dressing, combine sugar, red wine vinegar, water, and salt in a small bowl. Gradually drizzle in oil, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Layer the spinach wraps with lettuce, chicken, strawberries, avocado, red onion, and almonds. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon dressing over each serving. Wrap in fun parchment paper and enjoy!
- If you cannot find spinach wraps, any wraps will do.
- Use almond flour wraps as a gluten-free option.
Written by Yvette / Photos by Yvette
Disclosure: I am being compensated for this post as part of my work as an ambassador for California Strawberries. All opinions are my own.