Happy May! I just returned from the Bay Area and so happy to be back home with my family.
May is one of my favorite months. It’s finally looking like summer and there are so many fun occasions to celebrate – National Strawberry Month, Cinco de Mayo, and Mother’s Day.
Being that May is National Strawberry Month, I wanted to highlight strawberries in a festive dessert.
California strawberries are produced year round and sweet any time of year, but peak season signals an abundance of strawberries just waiting to be added to your favorite breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and desserts. Did you know that one serving of eight medium strawberries is only 45 calories? Strawberries are easy to prepare, available year-round, and deliver exceptional nutrition and health benefits.
These simple cups remind me of buñuelos that are traditionally made during Christmas. They are basically Mexican fritter muffin cups filled with homemade Chantilly cream, and topped with delicious roasted berries. I made them with my son and we had a blast in the kitchen together — Watch the video.
Buñuelo Berry Muffin Cups
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 large flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound strawberries, cut in half lengthwise
- 6 ounces blueberries
- 6 ounces blackberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Vanilla bean, split and seeds removed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fine granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut tortillas into 8 4-inch rounds.
- Brush rounds with olive oil.
- Dust with sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Place rounds in muffin cups.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove buñuelo cups to cool.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries in a baking dish and toss with sugar and vanilla bean and seeds.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature before serving.
- Place cream, vanilla, and sugar in a bowl of an electric mixer and beat until soft peaks begin to form. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Plate a buñuelo cup, fill with Chantilly cream, add roasted berries over the Chantilly cream, and garnish with a mint leaf.
A special thanks to California Strawberries for sponsoring this blog post. Opinions are my own.