This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Knorr. The opinions and text are all mine.
Arroz con Pollo translates to “rice with chicken” in Spanish and is the perfect Latin American-inspired fall dish. It includes chicken, rice, and vegetables for a comforting meal to enjoy during this cozy time of year.
I had trouble deciding which of the six flavors of Knorr Selects to use in this recipe because they are all so versatile, but I ultimately chose the Rustic Mexican Rice & Beans because it makes this dish simple to prepare. The rice in the pack already includes beans and bell peppers and has a bold, Mexican flavor.
After I sautéed my chopped onion and bell pepper, I added these vegetables and fresh peas to the rice. Lately, preparing delicious meals at home has been quick and easy thanks to my partnership with Knorr Selects. It also makes me feel great as a parent to know that Knorr Selects features high quality ingredients and uses responsibly sourced rice from Arkansas.
Did you know today, October 12th is National Farmer’s Day? Why not take the time honor hard-working farmers and also celebrate Knorr’s commitment to responsible sourcing by testing out this recipe on your own? It’s important to give some love to all the farmers that work tirelessly to grow our food. I’m proud to be partnering with a brand that celebrates that!
I used juicy dark meat chicken thighs and kept the skin on for a richer flavor, but feel free to substitute with skinless chicken breasts for a lighter option. The best part about this recipe is that you don’t need to marinate the chicken for a long time. You can let the chicken marinate while you prep your other ingredients.
The marinade is sweet and tangy with a combination of fresh lime juice and brown sugar. The flavorful chicken pairs wonderfully with the Rustic Mexican Rice & Beans.
Arroz con Pollo
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin on
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Knorr Selects Rustic Mexican Rice & Beans
- 2 ½ cups water
- ½ cup peas, canned or frozen
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a gallon-size storage bag, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, brown sugar, cayenne, and lemon pepper.
- Add the chicken thighs, seal the bag, and shake to coat.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add onion and bell pepper and cook for about 2 minutes, until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet add the chicken thighs skin down along with the marinade. Sear the chicken for about 5 minutes on each side until you get a nice golden color and a beautiful crispy skin.
- Transfer the skillet with chicken to the oven and bake until the chicken is cooked thoroughly about 15 to 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, pour Knorr Selects into a medium saucepan. Add water and 2 tablespoons oil to the saucepan.
- Give it a stir. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium and boil covered for 10 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Turn off heat and add peas. Wait at least 2 minutes for the sauce to thicken. Stir once more.
- Place baked chicken on top of rice and serve. Garnish with cilantro and limes.
Photography by Jenna Sparks