Enchiladas Verdes con Pavo (Green Chile Turkey Enchiladas)
At the request of our amigos at Avocados from Mexico, we’d like to share a family favorite, mom’s enchiladas verdes, (green enchiladas). But instead of using chicken, why not use leftover shredded pavo (turkey) and add a side of sliced buttery, melt-in-your-mouth avocados.
Servings: 4 to 6 servings
- 12 Anaheim long green chile peppers
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart Suero de Sal whey or buttermilk can be used as a substitute, divided
- ½ cup canola oil diced
- 1 white onion
- 12 to18 corn tortillas preferably white corn
- 1 pound shredded turkey or rotisserie chicken
- 1 ½ cups white shredded cheese Monterrey Jack, Azadero or Muenster
- ¼ cup queso fresco crumbled
- ½ cup crema Mexicana or sour cream for sauce and topping
- salt to taste
- water if needed
- 2 to 3 ripe avocados from Mexico pitted and sliced
Roast Chile Peppers:
Preheat broiler. Select firm, meaty peppers without wrinkles for roasting.
Place peppers evenly in a single layer on a foil-lined cookie sheet.
Place under broiler. Watch them closely as the skin will blister and turn black within minutes. Turn the peppers after 5 minutes to blister all sides evenly. When done, the pepper skins should be evenly blistered and mostly black.
Place roasted peppers in a plastic bag, cover with a kitchen towel and when cool, rub off the blackened skin, and discard the stem.
In a blender combine the peppers, flour, and half of the suero or buttermilk and blend until creamy.
Pour mixture into a medium skillet and set over medium-low heat to warm. Add additional suero or buttermilk and stir. Taste and season with salt, usually about 2 teaspoons. If the sauce is too spicy, add ¼ cup of crema Mexicana or sour cream and stir. If the sauce is too thick, add water until desired consistency is reached.
Fry tortillas in hot oil until softened.
Drain on paper towels.
Soften tortillas by soaking in sauce one at a time.
Place softened tortillas on individual serving plates. Layer with shredded turkey, onion, and cheese. Repeat process for a total of 3 to 4 tortillas for each serving.
Serve with slices of avocados. Sabroso!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Fry tortillas in hot oil just until softened. Drain on paper towels.
Spread 1 cup of the sauce in an ungreased 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
Fill each tortilla with shredded turkey, onion, and cheese. Roll tortilla with filling, placing seam side down in the baking dish.
Pour 2 cups of the sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with more cheese and bake until warm, about 15 minutes. Serve with a dollop of crema Mexicana or sour cream and slices of avocados.
- When shopping for your ingredients to make the enchiladas do not forget to pick up several Mexican avocados to garnish your plate or as a light side.
- Feel free to use leftover rotisserie chicken instead of turkey!
Calories: 1104.79kcal | Carbohydrates: 113.6g | Protein: 43.59g | Fat: 56.41g | Saturated Fat: 17.41g | Cholesterol: 115.9mg | Sodium: 1052.97mg | Potassium: 1155.32mg | Fiber: 25.13g | Sugar: 10.41g | Vitamin A: 758.25IU | Vitamin C: 32.5mg | Calcium: 576.09mg | Iron: 4.23mg