Chicken Tinga (Shredded Spicy Chicken)
Try this Chicken Tinga recipe - a classic Mexican spicy shredded chicken which makes for an amazing taco or tostada filling. This easy pulled chicken is features sliced onions, smoky chipotle chiles and tomatoes! A full-flavored crowd pleaser.
Servings: 10 to 12 servings
- 6 cups water
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 4 teaspoons salt divided
- 1 whole clove garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion quartered
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato quartered
- 1 7-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Organic Refined Coconut Oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 3 large vine-ripened tomatoes chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 12 corn tortillas or packaged flat tostada shells
- oil for cooking tostadas
- 1 head iceberg lettuce finely shredded
- 3 avocados pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 2 cups queso fresco or Cotija cheese crumbled
- 2 cups crema Mexicana or sour cream
- 2 cups salsa of your choice
- 6 radishes sliced
In a large stockpot, over medium to high heat, add water, chicken, 2 teaspoons salt, whole clove garlic, and quartered onion. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. Remove the chicken, garlic, and onion from the broth and allow to cool. When the chicken is cool, shred it. Reserve chicken and broth.
In a blender, put the boiled onion and garlic clove, the quartered tomato, chipotle peppers including adobo sauce, 2 teaspoons salt, and enough chicken broth to fill the blender half way. Puree until smooth.
Heat the coconut oil in a large and deep pan over medium heat. Once it is hot but not smoking, stir in the chopped onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and chopped garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Add the shredded chicken, the chipotle sauce from the blender, and more chicken broth if it is too dry. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt to taste.
This recipe is made using Crisco® Organic Refined Coconut Oil instead of canola oil to sauté the veggies. It is an easy 1:1 substitute in recipes calling for butter, margarine, and other oils, making it a go-to pantry staple
Calories: 521kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 1661mg | Potassium: 1187mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1619IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 269mg | Iron: 2mg