Mexican Chocolate Zucchini Cake with a Cream Cheese Glaze
If you like carrot cake and zucchini bread you will love this moist chocolate bundt cake recipe combined with exotic Mexican chocolate.
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups finely shredded zucchini
- 1 3.3 ounce tablet Mexican chocolate (recommend Nestle-Abuelita), shredded into a powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Cream cheese glaze:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
Preheat oven 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan.
Using a stand mixer, beat sugar, oil, and butter until well blended. Gradually beat in buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.
In another bowl, whisk sifted flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Gradually combine slowly into sugar mixture.
Stir in zucchini, Mexican chocolate, and pecans.
Transfer to a greased pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cake cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Cream cheese glaze:
In a large mixing bowl cream together butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract using a hand mixer.
Gradually beat in confectioner’s sugar. Add milk to desired consistency. Don’t make it too thin or it will slide off the cake.
Drizzle the glaze over the cake.
- If you cannot find Mexican chocolate, use regular chocolate and add some cinnamon to the batter.
Calories: 531kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 184mg | Potassium: 170mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 51g | Vitamin A: 477IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 2mg