Chilaquiles with Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
Tomatillos, onion, garlic, and serrano peppers are oven-roasted for extra flavor and pureed with fresh cilantro and chicken stock. This sauce is great for enchiladas too.
Servings: 4 servings
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa:
- 1 pound tomatillos husked, and rinsed
- 1 white onion peeled, and quartered
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 serranos stems removed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 handful cilantro leaves
- 1 cup chicken stock unsalted chicken broth (fresh or packaged)
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup shredded Oaxaca cheese
- 1/3 cup diced red onions
- 2 to 3 eggs cooked any style
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
On a baking sheet, broil tomatillos, onion, garlic, and serranos for 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the roasted vegetables to a blender.
Add cumin, cilantro, chicken stock, flour, and salt, and purée until smooth.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Pour in blended sauce carefully to avoid too much splatter and bring it to a boil. Lower heat and simmer till thickened for about 6 to 8 minutes.
Cut corn tortillas into quarters. In a large skillet heat oil and fry corn tortilla pieces until crunchy. Lower heat to low.
Add 2 cups of sauce and mix only long enough to coat all the tortillas. Top with cheese while still over a low flame and cook just long enough for the cheese to melt.
Remove from heat and sprinkle with onions. Serve with eggs any style and top with crumbled queso fresco.
- Any leftover tomatillo salsa is simple to make and perfect for dipping later with some tortilla chips.
Calories: 369.8kcal | Carbohydrates: 42.58g | Protein: 13.75g | Fat: 17.43g | Saturated Fat: 4.68g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 376.3mg | Potassium: 678.58mg | Fiber: 6.74g | Sugar: 9.3g | Vitamin A: 855.11IU | Vitamin C: 50.64mg | Calcium: 173.07mg | Iron: 2.44mg