Caldo de Res (Beef Soup)
Caldo de Res or Mexican Beef Soup is a hearty soup loaded with beef and vegetables. The soup bones and beef shank flavor the broth beautifully. Serve with a lime wedge and homemade salsa.
Servings: 8 to 10 servings
- 11 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds soup bones
- 1 1/2 pounds beef shank bones cut into 3 or 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 white or yellow onion cut in 1-inch squares
- 1/2 head cabbage chopped
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 Mexican zucchini sliced
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 fresh corn on the cob cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp safflower petals azafran
- 1/4 tsp whole coriander seeds crushed
- 3 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 3 limes cut into wedges (optional)
Over high heat in a large stockpot, bring water to a boil.
Add soup bones, shank bones, salt, garlic, and onion and boil for about 10 minutes. Lower heat to low, cover pot, and simmer for about 2 1⁄2 to 3 hours or until meat on bones is tender. Skim excess foam off the top as it forms and discard.
Add cabbage, carrots, celery, potatoes, zucchini, tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, safflower petals, coriander seeds, and cilantro. Let it all cook for about 30 minutes, until potatoes are soft but not mushy.
- Serve with Mexican rice, salsa casera, and lime wedges on the side, and don’t forget the corn tortillas!
- Prepared soup can be frozen for up to three months.
- Anytime you prepare a soup recipe with tougher cuts of meat, you could cook the meat in a crockpot overnight or pressure cooker/Instant Pot (cover with plenty of water). Then, finish it on the stove top.
Calories: 113kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 978mg | Potassium: 806mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1861IU | Vitamin C: 91mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 3mg