Baked Huevos Rancheros Casserole (Cazuela de Huevos Rancheros)
A hearty combination of homemade refried beans, savory ham, and fried eggs topped with salsa and cheese are cooked together in a casserole for the perfect baked breakfast.
Servings: 6 to 8 servings
- 3 cups refried beans
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 8 thin slices deli ham or turkey
- 6 to 8 large eggs
- kosher or sea salt
- salsa of your choice
- 8 ounces Oaxaca cheese asadero, mozzarella, or Monterey Jack Cheese grated
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Heat the refried beans in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot. Spread beans in an even layer in a 9-x-13-inch baking dish.
Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. In batches, add the ham or turkey slices and sear 15-20 seconds per side. Remove from heat, fold slices in half, and arrange on top beans in a single layer.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Crack all eggs by side into the pan, or cook in batches. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, just until the eggs are set on the bottom but are not fully done; the yolks should be runny and the top part of the eggs whites should not yet be cooked through. Turn off the heat. Alternatively, you can cook the eggs 2 at a time in a small nonstick skillet.
With a large spoon or spatula, cut the eggs into 8 portions or arrange them as you cook them in batches and, trying not to break the yolks, place each one on top of a folded slice of meat.
Gently ladle the salsa over the eggs so that they are completely covered, and top with the cheese.
Bake until the cheese has completely melted, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
- If you are like me and freeze large batches of frijoles de la olla and salsa, these can easily be incorporated into this layered dish, just be sure to thaw ahead of time.
- Store-bought refried beans and salsa will work too, but homemade is obviously preferred.
- Additionally, if you like your eggs scrambled or cooked thoroughly, you could top with your eggs of choice.
Calories: 371.05kcal | Carbohydrates: 14.66g | Protein: 25.82g | Fat: 21.91g | Saturated Fat: 11.56g | Cholesterol: 197.96mg | Sodium: 1485.69mg | Potassium: 156.05mg | Fiber: 5.04g | Sugar: 3.16g | Vitamin A: 337.2IU | Calcium: 86.98mg | Iron: 2.14mg