Cheesy Cornbread Skillet
A lovely rustic cornbread studded with plenty of goodies: whole pieces of corn, bits of colorful peppers, and melted Oaxaca cheese.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded Oaxaca cheese
- 1 cup whole kernel corn drained
- 2 mini sweet peppers chopped
Preheat to 375 F.
Lightly grease a 10-inch oven-safe skillet.
Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Combine milk, eggs, and oil in a medium bowl. Add to cornmeal mixture; stir just until combined. Stir in cheese, corn, and peppers. Pour batter into prepared skillet.
Bake for 20 minutes on the bottom rack and an additional 5 minutes on the top rack or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan. Serve warm and refrigerate any leftovers.
- If there are no kids eating with you, you use jalapenos instead of mini bell peppers.
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 244mg | Potassium: 324mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 328IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 2mg