Roasted Butternut Squash and Beet Salad
Autumn colors were the inspiration for this dish. This salad is absolutely beautiful and delicious with the addition of creamy avocados, crunchy pepitas, and tangy feta cheese. It’s a salad I plan to make this weekend as we celebrate Dia de los Muertos and again for Thanksgiving. Sweet, savory, and seasonal, this salad has become a family favorite.
- 3 beets washed, and sliced
- 1 butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and cubed
- feta cheese
- ¼ cup dry roasted pepitas
- baby kale or spring greens optional
Combine lemon juice, vinegar, paprika, and salt. Add olive oil and shake. Set aside.
Boil beets in water and cook until tender. Let cool and chop.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Toss butternut squash with olive oil in a large bowl. Season with salt and black pepper. Arrange coated squash on a baking sheet.
Roast until squash is tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
Arrange beets and squash over greens, if using. Drizzle with vinaigrette dressing and garnish with pepitas and feta cheese.
- This salad would also taste amazing with roasted sweet potatoes or roasted Kabocha squash instead of butternut squash.
Calories: 432kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 136mg | Potassium: 1393mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 26699IU | Vitamin C: 75mg | Calcium: 143mg | Iron: 3mg