This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Rumba Meats. All opinions are 100% mine.
This has been an exciting summer of soccer! Are you tuning in to watch the soccer tournament as it enters its final week? These women soccer players are beyond inspiring! Who will get crowned in the big game? What team will be lifting trophies? Who will be the world champion?
Sunday, July 7 will be no ordinary day in the world of soccer. It’s a massive day for the globe’s most popular sport, and that’s because the Women’s World Cup final will be played on that day as well as Copa America and the Gold Cup final.
That’s right — three major international finals all fall on the same place on the calendar in what’s going to be one of the exciting days in the sport.
If that doesn’t make you excited to cheer for them this summer, maybe this recipe will.
Fútbol is a celebration of heritage, familia, y comida. This slow cooked lengua (tongue) is beyond tender and literally melts in your mouth.
If you are skeptical about lengua, I’m guessing it’s because you have never tasted it. There is absolutely no weird aftertaste and it seriously tastes like tender shredded beef roast.
I am all about the slow cooker when serving a crowd. Place the lengua in the slow cooker with onion, garlic, and water and cook low and slow for eight hours.
After it is cooked, you need to peel off the outer layer of skin and discard, and then finely dice the tender meat and sauté it in a skillet with fire roasted tomatoes for a delectable delicacy.
Set out a tostada buffet and let your guests assemble their own tostadas with garnishes of their choice. This recipe is the perfect dish to enjoy for a soccer watch party.
Rumba Meats offers specialty ingredients that are readily available in regular grocery stores – Find Rumba meats near you (download a coupon). Or shop for the cut on Amazon. Rumba Meats is a variety meat brand focused on celebrating the flavor of family. It is the only brand that helps balance a bicultural lifestyle – keeping cultural traditions alive.
Tostadas de Lengua
- 2 1 ⁄2 to 3 pound Rumba Meats beef tongue
- 3 cups water
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- corn tortillas, recommend mini corn tortillas
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Place beef tongue, water, onion, garlic, and sea salt in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Once it’s tender, take the tongue out of the stock to cool off. Peel off the outer layer of skin when you are able to handle the tongue. It’s easier to take the skin off while the tongue is warm. Dice tongue into 1⁄2-inch cubes and set aside.
- Strain the stock and set aside. It’s always better to refrigerate the stock so you can skim the fat off and discard. If you have a fat separator then you don’t have to refrigerate.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add flour and stir for 2 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and let come to a boil as you stir.
- Add diced tongue, 1⁄2 cup reserved stock, black pepper, and garlic powder. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes to thicken. If it’s too dry you can add more stock, however, this recipe should not be runny if using as a filling or topping.
- In heavy skillet heat one-quarter inch oil. Fry tortillas, one at a time, in hot oil for 20 to 40 seconds on each side or until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels. Store bought tostadas can also be used.
- Top one tostada with lengua. Drizzle with your favorite homemade salsa to taste.
- Garnish each with toppings of your choice.
- Place lengua on tostadas and add your favorite toppings.