This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Knorr. The opinions and text are all mine.
I seriously wish I could slow down time. My daughter turned 15 years old and is a sophomore in high school and I’m kinda freaking out about it. If you didn’t know, she is the one who gave me the idea of writing a cookbook when she was eight years old. If it weren’t for her idea, I’d probably still be a fulltime graphic designer. You can read more about how this blog started here.
Fast forward seven years later, and look what her idea turned into. I’m so glad I took her advice and wrote a cookbook and started this blog documenting my food journey.
I still can’t believe that my children are growing up so quickly, but what I do love is that I share milestones with photos and videos on this blog. This blog is like my journal and my children can always look back on it to find their favorite recipes and stories.
This recipe is a great example of a dish that I am positive my children will always remember. This dish is made with ingredients from our garden and I have already made it a couple times at their request.
I roasted summer squash and brussels sprouts on a foil-lined baking sheet making for easy cleanup. Roasted veggies achieve big and bright flavor with a drizzle of olive oil and a bit of salt.
After a busy day, the thought of cooking an elaborate meal and filling a sink with dirty dishes can be enough temptation to order in pizza – believe me, been there done that. That’s why a one-pot dish like this is such a big win on a weeknight. This meal is ready in less than 30 minutes and is a delicious way to incorporate more veggies into your diet.
Knorr Selects are quick and easy to prepare on the stovetop, ready in just 10 minutes, and delicious on their own or as a flavorful side. I like to add in fresh vegetables from my garden to complete the dish!
This one-pot rice meal is made with Knorr Selects Spinach & Artichoke Rice combined with roasted summer squash and brussels sprouts which are high in protein, garnished with squash blossoms to make for a well-rounded recipe that requires nothing more than a plate and a fork to eat, and cleanup is guaranteed to be a breeze.
Summer Squash and Brussels Sprouts One-Pot Rice
- 12 brussels sprouts
- 1 summer squash
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 3 squash blossoms (optional)
- 1 package Knorr Selects Spinach & Artichoke Rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the bottom of brussels sprouts about 1/4" or less and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Then cut them in half lengthwise.
- Slice the summer squash.
- In a bowl combine brussels sprouts and squash with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place brussels sprouts on a foil-line baking sheet on half of the pan and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and add the squash and bake for an additional 12 to 15 minutes until brussels sprouts are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onion and squash blossoms and cook for about 2 minutes, until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Pour water, milk, and Knorr Selects package into the same pan. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to medium and continue cooking uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in roasted brussels sprouts, summer squash, and garnish with sautéed onions and squash blossoms.
I’d love to see what you cook!
Tag #MUYBUENOCOOKING if you make this recipe.
Photography by Jenna Sparks