A few weeks ago, Hunt’s asked us if we’d like to make some of their recipes and share them with you, our lovely readers. We were excited about the opportunity to do this for two reasons. First and foremost, our family has always used Hunt’s products and we love them. We feel strongly about sharing ingredients or products that we believe in and use in our own kitchens. Secondly, the recipes are quick and easy and perfect for weeknight dinners.
As much as I love to make food from scratch, our hectic weekday schedule doesn’t always give me the opportunity to do so. My slow cooker is one of my best friends en la cocina and when I saw this Ropa Vieja recipe I knew it would be perfect for my familia at home and, you our blog familia.
Ropa vieja, is Spanish for “old clothes,” which describes the shreds of meat, bell peppers, and onions resembling a mess of colorful rags. It’s a popular dish in the Canary Islands, Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Dominica Republic. It is not a Mexican recipe we grew up eating, but reminded me so much of our beef brisket. It is a shredded skirt steak in a tomato sauce base. It’s hearty enough on its own, but goes well with a side of cilantro lime rice.
This simple recipe is completely effortless. All you have to do is add a handful of ingredients in your slow cooker and walk away. When you return, your home will smell amazing as if you were slaving away in the kitchen for hours. I have a feeling you will really enjoy this tender shredded beef, stewed with onion, bell peppers, and tangy tomato as much as I did.
Have you heard of Ropa Vieja?
Shredded Beef in Creole Sauce (Ropa Vieja)
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1-1/2 pounds beef skirt steak, cut into large pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 can, 14.5 oz each Hunt's® Diced Tomatoes, drained
- 1 can, 8 oz each Hunt's® Tomato Sauce
- Spray inside of 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Place all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover; cook on low 8 hours or on high 4 hours or until beef is tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Remove beef from slow cooker; pull into shreds with 2 forks. Return beef to slow cooker; stir to combine with sauce.
Written by Yvette / Photos by Yvette
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post by Hunt’s. We were compensated for recipe development. The views and opinions expressed about the product are purely our own and based upon our personal experiences. We are thrilled to partner with brands, which we think are an ideal fit for us and you our awesome readers.