When the weather gets hot and sticky, there’s nothing like a refreshing Mexican Paleta. These authentic Latin American pineapple and strawberry popsicles are as simple and tasty as desserts come – made with only real fruit and a touch of Truvia® Sweet Complete™.
What are paletas?
Paletas, which roughly translates to “little sticks,” are so named because of how they are presented. Much like American popsicles, these handheld frozen treats are made for backyard barbecues.
One thing that separates Mexican paletas from the American popsicle is that paletas must be made with real ingredients like fruit, spices, and nuts. No HFCS and Yellow #6 over here, folks!
Because fresh fruit paletas are made simply with just fruit, water and sweetener, they’re something you can feel good about feeding your family. While I made a strawberry and a pineapple version below, you can easily swap out the fruits to match your mood!
Why I Love This Recipe
To make this recipe even more adult-friendly while keeping it tasty for kids, I created Reduced Sugar Mexican Paletas! Rather than sweetening these frozen fruit bars with traditional granulated sugar, I used Truvia® Sweet Complete™ All-Purpose Sweetener instead.
With beach season fast approaching, I’m all for cutting out excess sugar and calories wherever I can, and Truvia® makes it so easy! Truvia® Sweet Complete™ is a zero-calorie sweetener made from stevia leaf extract, the sweetest part of the stevia plant – so you get all the sweetness in a refreshing summer treat without the extra calories.
Sweet Complete™ also makes these paletas diabetes-friendly so anyone in the family can enjoy them! What’s even better is that Sweet Complete™ is a straight one-to-one substitute for sugar, so it’s perfect if you’re looking to lighten up any of your other favorite summer recipes.
I also love how simple these paletas are to make — simply blend up your choice of fruit with fresh lime juice, some water, and a touch of Truvia® Sweet Complete™, pour into popsicle molds and wait for the freezer to work its modern-day magic!
Paletas are also completely customizable to your tastes, meaning you can get as creative as you want with your flavors. I went for tried and true classics – strawberry and pineapple – but feel free to go wild! Fresh fruit paletas are the perfect palate for creating your own masterpiece.
How to Make Fresh Fruit Paletas
This recipe is so simple! You’re going to flip when you realize how easy it is to make your own fresh fruit pops.
Place one and a half cups of diced fruit plus 1/3 cup of the Sweet Complete™, water, and the lime juice into a blender and blend until smooth.
Spoon about 1 tablespoon remaining fruit into each popsicle mold, then add the blended mixture, leaving about ½-inch of headspace for expansion.
TIP: If you prefer your popsicles to be completely smooth, just blend all the fruit up! I like to give my paletas a bit of texture, so I opt to keep some fruit chunks.
Insert a popsicle stick into each mold and freeze until pops are solid, about six hours or overnight. To release ice pops from molds, run the bottom of the molds briefly under cold water.
Frequently Asked Questions
What other flavors go well in fresh fruit paletas?
The sky is the limit! I highly recommend using fruit that is in season for the best possible flavors, but feel free to mix and match to your heart’s content.
You can even make your own version of “rocket pops” by layering two or three different flavors on top of each other. Simply fill your mold a part of the way with the first flavor, then freeze solid. Repeat with the second flavor and freeze, then top with the last flavor.
Finally, feel free to get creative with other add-ins like nuts or spices for truly out of this world paletas.
How long do paletas last?
Once poured into the molds and popped in the freezer, paletas should last for up to six weeks in the freezer.
Can I make boozy paletas?
- A) I like where your head’s at. B) YES. Remember that hard liquor will not fully freeze, though, so I recommend using only a splash or try wine or sangria instead. You can also add a touch of rum, tequila or vodka to the mix, then serve the paletas in a glass with sparkling (spiked?) seltzer to really amp up the feel-good adult vibes. Just be sure to keep the boozy paletas away from curious kiddos.
Need more summertime magic?
Check out these other delicious paletas:
- Mango-Chili Paletas
- Paletas de Jamaica y Canela + Paletas de Melón
- Paletas de Horchata
- Paletas de Tamarindo
- Paletas de Piña con Chamoy
- Paletas de Aguacate y Coco
- Strawberry Margarita Popsicles
If you tried my recipe for Reduced Sugar Mexican Paletas, please be sure to rate and review it below! And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram if you come up with any fun flavor combinations – show me what you’ve got!! 🙂
Reduced Sugar Pineapple & Strawberry Paletas
- 3 cups diced, ripe fresh fruit, (strawberries, pineapple, papaya, mango, etc.)
- 1/3 cup Truvia® Sweet Complete™ All-Purpose Sweetener
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Place half of the fruit and all of the Truvia® Sweet Complete™, water, and lime juice into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon remaining fruit into each popsicle mold, then add the blended mixture, leaving about ½-inch of headspace for expansion.
- Insert a popsicle stick into each mold and freeze until pops are solid, about 6 hours or overnight. To release ice pops from molds, run the bottom of the molds briefly under cold water.
- Nutrition facts are approximate and will change depending on the type of fruit you use.
Photography by Jenna Sparks
This post is in partnership with Truvia® sweetener. As always, thank you for reading and for supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.