Breakfast is the most challenging meal for me to make. We are usually rushing out the door in the mornings so more often than not I prepare something quick. My kids go through phases when it comes to breakfast dishes. Sometimes all they want is pancakes or waffles and other times its cereal or scrambled eggs, but lately they have been on a yogurt kick, which for me is so helpful because that means no cooking is involved.
These festive and colorful vanilla yogurt parfaits are made with a chunky strawberry sauce, fresh blueberries, granola, and if you’d like some pomegranate seeds – they not only look pretty, but are super simple to assemble, and delicious. You can even make them ahead of time and refrigerate them.
Another idea is to make these parfaits in mason jars and take them to go when you are running late. With the weather being so warm this refreshing breakfast is perfect to keep you and your children cool and nourished.
Serve these parfaits with a tall glass of milk for a complete breakfast. An 8-ounce glass of milk has 8 grams of high-quality protein plus other essential nutrients. Serving milk with breakfast is an easy way to start the day off right and help meet the recommended milk intake for the day – as well as morning protein goals. Milk is one of the original farm-to-table foods – from America’s dairy farms to the grocery store to your table, many people don’t realize it’s one of the freshest, most wholesome and naturally nutrient-rich foods available.
Speaking of milk — I am excited to announce that I am a spokesperson for Milk Life and I will be developing recipes made with and paired with milk. Milk is a staple in our fridge – something I always have on-hand and so easy to incorporate into recipes or pour into a glass for my children.
One of the benefits of working with Milk Life is that I will work closely with their nutrition team to develop recipes that are not only delicious, but also nutritious on an ongoing basis. Did you know white milk doesn’t actually have any added sugar? You can find the nutrition details for this recipe below.
A special thanks to Milk Life for sponsoring this blog post. Opinions are my own.
Red, White and Blue Granola and Fruit Parfaits
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup granola
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, optional
- mint leaves, optional
Pair each serving with:
- 8- ounce glass of milk
- Place strawberries and sugar into a small bowl. Mash the strawberries together until a sauce forms; leave some larger pieces intact. To assemble the parfaits, layer 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt into the bottom of six glasses or mason jars.
- Top with 2 tablespoons of the strawberry sauce; follow with 2 tablespoons of blueberries and 1 1/3 tablespoons of granola. Repeat arrangement with remaining yogurt, strawberry sauce and blueberries so they are equally portioned among the six glasses or mason jars. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and mint leaves, if desired.
- 280 calories; 2.5 g fat; 0 g saturated fat; 10 mg cholesterol; 14 g protein; 52 g carbohydrates; 3 g fiber; 170 mg sodium; 462 mg calcium (45% of daily value). Nutrition figures based on using fat free milk, and include an 8-ounce glass of milk.
- Serve these parfaits with a tall glass of milk for a complete breakfast.
- Another idea is to make these parfaits in mason jars and take them to go when you are running late.