Guys, tell me it isn’t so, but my daughter has become a vegetarian. My girl was once upon a time, a proud carnivore and could put down a burger or steak like a champ.
Now, she is leaning towards veggies instead. She has actually been a great example for all of us, and taught us to eat more veggies, which is always a good thing (ok, Martha Stewart).
In my effort to cook more plant-based meals I came up with this delicious sandwich. Initially, I wanted to serve these on focaccia bread, but can never resist freshly baked bolillos at the bakery.
This is a simple sandwich that is honestly so easy to make and oh so satisfying. It’s a bolillo loaded with mashed avocado, tomato slices, a grilled portobello mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, and topped with a roasted poblano pepper giving it the perfect amount of spice.
If you are dabbling in a plant-based diet, mushrooms are very hearty and when grilled are very satisfying. I promise, you won’t miss the beef when you eat this meal.
Grilled Portobello Mushroom Torta with Roasted Poblano
- Prepare a grill pan with a drizzle of olive oil and bring to medium high heat.
- Remove stems from portobello caps and drizzle both sides with olive oil. Season with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Place on the grill pan and cook on each side for 10 minutes or until the mushrooms soften and grill marks appear. Add cheese to the mushroom caps and cook until cheese melts.
- Spoon the avocado into a bowl with lemon or lime juice. Mash with a fork and season with a pinch of kosher salt.
- Slather the avocado mixture on the bottom bolillo or focassia bread then layer with the mushroom cap, tomato slices, cooked mushroom with cheese, and roasted poblano.
- Top with bread and serve.
Photography by Jenna Sparks