Have you ever tasted bananas foster? This recipe totally reminds me of that dish! Next time I make this dish I’ll be serving them over vanilla ice cream. The combination of the brown sugar, honey, and buttery almond tequila brings out the sweetness of the ripe plantains giving the usual fried plantains a heavenly twist. Remember to use very yellow or almost black plantains, called amarillos for this sweet dish.
My idea to serve them on nopal paddles came when I wanted to have all-natural serve ware for my little fiesta. This idea materialized into something better than I expected. It turns out it was a great conversation piece and best of all they made cleanup so easy.
Our friends at IMUSA sent us a plantain slicer and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to use and best of all, each slice was the perfect thickness, over and over again. The best part is this product is not limited to plantains – you can slice cucumbers and other vegetables too.
If you like tostones, a fried banana patty using green plantains, then you will love their bamboo tostonera. These two kitchen gadgets are great when you want to make sure all your tostones or plantains are about the same thickness. I like finding kitchen gadgets that make my life easier and if you do too you might want to try the beautiful slicer and press both crafted from bamboo.
Platanos Maduros con Miel (Fried Sweet Plantains)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 yellow or black plantains cut into 1-inch julienne-cut slices
- 1/3 cup olive or canola oil for sautéing
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon almond tequila
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Toss together brown sugar and plantain slices.
- Over medium flame, heat oil in a nonstick skillet. Sauté plantains in hot oil on each side for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer plantains to serving plates. The coating is sticky so do NOT drain on paper towels.
- Combine honey, tequila, cinnamon, and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated and smooth.
- Spoon sauce over plantains. Serve immediately.
The IMUSA products are available from Amazon, Kohl’s, Macy’s, Target, and other major retailers. If you want more information on this or other products from IMUSA, check out their website. Caution you will find several other products you just have to have.
Note: IMUSA sent us the slicer and press to try out and we were compensated for writing this recipe post, however, the recipe is ours and so are our opinions about these beautifully crafted bamboo gadgets.
Photography by Jeanine Thurston