Molletes (pronounced: mo-YEH-tehs) are basically toasted open-faced bolillos (Mexican rolls) topped with refried beans, cheese, and salsa.
My mom made molletes for us growing up but we didn’t call them molletes, we just thought they were a delicious special treat made with leftovers. Moms have a way of re-inventing leftovers and Mom was the leftover queen. There is something undeniably comforting about a warm baked sandwich.
While having breakfast in Mexico one morning and having been served fresh bolillos, I was quickly reminded of mom’s warm leftover sandwiches. Her molletes always had a layer of homemade refried beans and it was the memory of her molletes that inspired me to create a mollete of my own.
I love breakfast and thought the idea of adding huevos con chorizo on top of the warm frijoles then topped with creamy avocados would make for a perfect breakfast. Avocados from Mexico were used to top these molletes and as the avocado slices absorbed some of the heat they were warmed to perfection.
Molletes de Huevo con Chorizo y Aguacate
- 3 bolillos, Mexican rolls
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 ounces Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- 1 cup refried beans
- 6 eggs
- 2 avocados from Mexico, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- ¾ cup shredded Oaxaca, Chihuahua, or Monterrey Jack cheese
- Salsa of choice
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Split the bolillos in half, lengthwise. Spread the butter over the cut sides of the bolillo slices. Place them, cut sides down, in the pan and cook until they are lightly golden brown and crispy, a minute or two.
- Crumble the chorizo into a cast-iron skillet and cook the chorizo over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs. In a large nonstick skillet add eggs and cooked chorizo; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until eggs are cooked thoroughly.
- Spread a thin layer of beans over the toasted side of each roll. Place roll halves on a baking sheet. Top with huevos con chorizo (eggs and chorizo) avocado slices and cheese.
- Broil for about 3 to 5 minutes or just until cheese melts.
- Serve the molletes with pico de gallo or choice of salsa.
- You can make refried beans at home using my favorite recipe.
Note: Avocados from Mexico compensated us for this post but the recipe and opinions are our own. Avocados from Mexico are simply delectable.