Its that time of year again – harvest season. Usually my garden is overflowing with zucchini, but this year I only planted one zucchini plant. My daughter told me last year that she was, “zucchinied out”. So, this year I only harvested three zucchinis making me sad, but making my daughter very happy. It’s all about balance because this year we have lots of garden tomatoes, which she loves.
Even though we didn’t have very many zucchinis I was still able to make this special bread. The best part is that I had all the ingredients on hand, so there was no need to go to the grocery store. Don’t you love when that happens?
My son helped me make this bread. He actually had the tough job of shredding the zucchini and the Mexican chocolate. Shhhh, lets keep that little secret to ourselves.
The addition of Mexican chocolate gives this bread an added richness and exotic flavor. The best part about this recipe is there is no need to pull out the electric mixer. With a spoon mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl and all the wet ingredients in another, and then combine all the ingredients and separate the batter in two loaf pans. As the bread bakes your home will be engulfed with irresistible fall aromas.
If you need to take something to a potluck this is perfect for sharing — take one loaf and keep the other. My son loved taking a slice for a snack in his lunchbox everyday. As for my daughter, I think she is still zucchinied out, but finally ate a slice, because she can never resist chocolate.
Mexican Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 2 teaspoons butter or shortening for greasing the pans
- 2 large zucchini, shredded 3 ½ to 4 cups grated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 3.3 ounce tablet Mexican chocolate, shredded into a powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the grated zucchini in a colander over a bowl to drain any excess moisture.
- Grease two 5 by 9 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and ground cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the chocolate, zucchini, and melted butter.
- Combine the flour mixture to the sugar egg zucchini mixture and stir until well incorporated.
- Divide the batter equally between two greased loaf pans.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let pans cool for 10 minutes before removing from to a wire rack to cool.