Forget the classic breakfast! Prepare this easy Huevo con Nopales en Chile Colorado recipe of scrambled eggs with nopalitos, bathed in red chile, served with corn tortillas.
If I go out to eat breakfast or brunch you can bet my dish is going to include eggs. I’m a sucker for over-easy eggs, but love scrambled eggs when combined with Red Chile Sauce (Chile Colorado).
There are dishes that are highly unlikely to find at a Mexican restaurant and this is one of them – Huevo con Nopales en Chile Colorado. This is a traditional homemade Mexican breakfast that comes together quickly.
As you might have seen, I love Noplaes con Huevo, and this dish is very similar but with the addition of leftover red chile sauce, giving this dish a spicy flavor.
Nopales are high in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. They are a healthy addition to a balanced diet and may help decrease blood sugars when eaten with a balanced meal.
I always purchase cleaned and chopped nopales at my local Latin market and freeze them in snack bags to add to my morning smoothie or to cook with eggs.
Now prepare this easy recipe of scrambled eggs with nopalitos, served with corn tortillas and bathed in red chile!
Huevo con Nopales en Chile Colorado
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped nopales
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup Red Chile Sauce
- 2 eggs
- Corn tortillas
- Heat oil in a large skillet, add onions and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the nopales and let them sweat and darken for about 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. They may exude a gelatinous liquid that will begin to dry out.
- Add red chile sauce and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk eggs and then add them to skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until eggs are cooked thoroughly.
YOU’LL LOVE THESE RECIPES, TOO:
- Machaca con Huevo (Machaca with Eggs) + Video
- Burritos de Huevos con Chorizo (Egg and Chorizo Breakfast Burritos)
- Baked Huevos Rancheros Casserole (Cazuela de Huevos Rancheros)
- Nopales con Huevo + Video