If you still haven’t grilled an avocado you have to give it a try. Grilling avocados gives the fruit a meatier consistency and makes for a flavorful, beautiful, and healthy side dish. And for those of you who don’t like quinoa, you haven’t tried this recipe with tomatoes, basil, red onion, and a splash of fresh lime juice. It is so fresh, and I actually prefer quinoa to rice now. What kinda Mexican girl am I turning into?
You might remember this grilled avocado recipe, but this time I used the avocados as vessels and filled them with tangy quinoa salad. My children and hubby love this dish and so has every guest I’ve made this for. Its colorful and full of flavor.
What are your plans for the 4th of July? I will be escaping on a much-needed family vacation to the shimmering shores of Playa del Carmen in Riviera Maya Mexico and look forward to eating lots of delicious avocados as I relax and admire the ocean (please don’t hate me).
Serve these grilled vegetarian little showstoppers as a side dish for the 4th of July, or as a festive appetizer for the World Cup match this Sunday when Mexico will take on the Netherlands.
- Red Quinoa Salad:
- 1 cup red quinoa washed and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- Handful of fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 tablespoon kosher salt
- Grilled Avocados:
- 5 ripe avocados split with seeds removed
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lime juiced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Wash quinoa several times in cold water, rinse, and add quinoa to boiling water. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, and fluff. Cool quinoa.
- Drizzle olive oil, gently stir cherry tomatoes, onion, basil, lime juice, and salt.
- Preheat a grill to medium.
- Brush the avocados with the oil and place on the grill, cut side down, grill until charred and remove. Drizzle with lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the half-avocados and serve.
Written by Yvette / Photos by Yvette