My family and I recently visited Breckenridge, Colorado for a weekend to celebrate my daughters early Sweet 16 birthday with some of her close friends. Sixteen? When the heck did that happen? I loved that she requested I set out a taco bar for all of her friends on our first night in the condo up in the mountains.
A taco bar is always a hit when feeding a crowd and economical, so that was an easy yes from me. But, secretly I was just so thrilled that she wanted to show off her mamas cooking to all of her teenage friends. If you have a teenager you know any compliment from them is amaze balls.
Before leaving Breckenridge, we spent Sunday morning at the Breckenridge Sunday market. If you live in Colorado I highly recommend a visit. Holy moly it was incredible! Live music and so many vendors with artistic creations and handcrafted and homegrown items.
One of the vendors that caught my attention was selling Mexican pewter dishes and everything in their booth was 60% off – I was like a kid in a candy shop. I couldn’t stop myself. My hubby and I had armfuls of pewter dishes. If you follow me on Instagram you might have seen all the gorgeous dishes I came home with.
As soon as I saw this hammered pewter platter I was instantly reminded of our taco bar and was inspired to develop a fun new recipe for tacos. Don’t they look like a match made in taco heaven?
The white cloth napkin under the platter is special too – my mom bought it for me from a nun after mass one day. I love when my props remind me of special memories.
If you are avocado obsessed like I am, then take your obsession to the next level by rolling them in panko crumbs, frying them to crispy perfection, and stuffing them in a warm corn tortilla.
These deep-fried avocado tacos are crunchy and creamy and spicy with the addition of a Sriracha crema and because I love spice I drizzled the fried avocados with even more sriracha hot chili sauce. I love the combination of flavors and textures in these tacos. Is your mouth watering yet?
Fried Avocado Tacos
- 1 cup crema Mexicana
- Sriracha hot chili sauce
Fried Avocado Tacos:
- corn tortillas
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- sliced red onion
- crumbled queso fresco
- Place almond flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs into three separate shallow medium bowls.
- Add salt, chili powder, and oregano to the breadcrumbs and combine.
- Brush avocado slices with olive oil.
- Working in batches, dredge in almond flour, shaking off excess. Coat with egg, allowing excess to drip back into bowl. Coat with bread crumbs, pressing to adhere.
- Pour oil into a large deep skillet and heat on medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry avocado, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain.
- Mix crema and sriracha to taste together in a bowl.
Fried Avocado Tacos:
- Spread sriracha crema on tortillas and top with fried avocado, cherry tomatoes, jalapeño, onion, queso fresco, and cilantro. For an extra kick drizzle with more Sriracha.
- If you cannot find queso fresco, use crumbled feta instead.
- Full-fat sour cream can be used instead of crema.