It’s the beginning of Lent and it’s time to be creative in the kitchen. As much as I think I don’t eat a lot of meat, I kinda do. The great thing about this time of year is that I eat a lot more fish and veggies and always wonder why I don’t do it more often.
Meat-free dishes always remind me of my grandma. Every Friday she made her delicious red enchiladas. They were made with a homemade red chile sauce and topped with shredded cheese and chopped onions. Super authentic, and oh so delicioso. I will definitely be eating my fill of that dish this season, but I also plan to share some seafood dishes and other meat-free dishes.
Today, I’m sharing a delicious croissant panini inspired by a delicious brunch at a French bakery. Tender, butter-flavored pastries from heaven overloaded with the most delicious farm-fresh eggs combined with roasted green chile, slices of avocados, tomatoes, and ooey-gooey melted queso Oaxaca.
These croissant panini’s can even be pre-made and refrigerated and reheated in a toaster oven or a couple seconds in the microwave and then toasted again on a skillet for a delicious breakfast on the go.
Egg and Green Chile Croissant Panini
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 Anaheim or Hatch chile peppers, roasted, peeled, and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 croissants
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Avocados slices
- Tomato slices
- Queso Oaxaca slices
- Beat eggs and milk with a fork or wire whisk in medium bowl until fluffy. Add roasted chile, salt, and pepper and lightly combine.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add egg mixture to skillet and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until eggs are thoroughly cooked, about 2 minutes.
- Slice each croissant in half. Brush each half with melted butter.
- Place scrambled eggs onto each half and top with avocado, tomato, and cheese.
- Close the sandwich and continue with the remaining sandwiches.
- Grill the panini until the cheese melts, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Photography: Jenna Sparks