Every year I like to involve my children as we celebrate Dia de los Muertos, by either making a recipe or a craft to celebrate the occasion. This year we incorporated both – an edible treat and a craft project in one.
You might remember our sugar skull decorating party where my children, cousins, and friends decorated sugar skulls and placed them on an altar to honor their departed loved ones. If you haven’t read that blog post I encourage you to read it and watch the video. I’m proud to say it is an Emmy award winning video.
This craft is very similar, but unlike traditional sugar skulls that are not edible – these skulls are made of candy and are totally edible and totally cute.
These candy skulls are the perfect craft for small hands and they make the cutest toppers to place on store-bought cupcakes. But before you top your cupcakes let your children decorate their very own skulls with brightly colored icing, sprinkles, and candy flowers.
We found skull silicon molds at a Michaels Store, along with all of the frosting and supplies. Or you can buy them online here: Skull Candy Mold.
The designs on each skull are small and detailed, so we recommend getting the smallest frosting tips available. A small dollop of frosting will also ensure that the decorations are secure.
Lastly, make sure that all of the decorations you choose are edible.
Dia de los Muertos Candy Skulls
- Melt the candy melts according to the instructions on the package. Pour into skull mold and allow to dry, according to package instructions.
- For the frosting, cut a small hole in the empty frosting bag. Drop tip and the ringed coupler inside the bag. Secure the remaining piece of coupler on the outside of the bag. Carefully fill each bag with the frosting colors.
- Carefully remove candy skulls and begin decorating. Apply decorations and adhere flowers with a small drop of frosting.
- Place your skull atop a frosted cupcake or any other dessert of your choice!
- We found skull silicon molds at a Michaels Store, along with all of the frosting and supplies. Or you can buy them online here: Skull Candy Mold.