I usually make biscochos and give them as gifts for Christmas, but this year I decided to add another classic Mexican cookie to my gift giving. Because of the snow-white powdered sugar coating, cuernitos (little horns) and polvorones are also referred to as Mexican weddings cookies.
You can shape these cookies as cuernitos or balls. I’d rather make these in winter because of the confectioner’s sugar. If the weather is too hot they tend to absorb the sugar, so I refrigerate them in an airtight container until ready to eat.
These delicate, buttery cookies, which get their crunchy texture from pecans and a sugar coating, melt in your mouth.
These festive sugary cookies are absolutely perfect for gift giving and your friends and family will be very happy when they receive these homemade special treats for the holidays. Give the gift of food and give a gift with a homemade touch.
All dressed up in pretty packaging, these cookies are certain to deliver joy not to mention the fact that they will be inhaled almost immediately.
Cuernitos de Nuez (Butter Pecan Cookies) / Polvorones (Mexican Wedding Cookies)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl beat butter, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually, beat in flour, salt, and chopped pecans.
- Cuernitos: take a generous tablespoon of dough and roll it into a log. Place it on the prepared cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and shape it into a crescent by pressing the edges and bending them slightly. Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Balls: roll the dough by 2 teaspoonfuls between your palms into balls.
- Arrange the cookies on a large baking sheet, spacing them 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Cool the cookies for 5 minutes on the baking sheet.
- While cookies are still warm, dust with confectioner’s sugar.
- Dough can be prepared one day in advance. Keep dough in a tightly sealed container in the fridge.
- Once cookies are baked they can be stored for one week in an airtight container.