Ok, where did Christmas go? The days flew by and if you are like me you ran out of time, but still want to give a few neighbors or friends a gift of love from your own kitchen. More than likely you might even have all the ingredients in your pantry from your own cookie baking adventures.
Pretty, festive, and easy to make, these Cranberry Hootycreeks make a welcome holiday cookie-in-a-jar gift. Dried cranberries, white chocolate chips, and chopped nuts give a seasonal spin to these chunky oatmeal cookies.
These cookies in a jar make a great gift, with a hanging tag or label containing instructions on how to combine the liquid ingredients and bake.
Jar decorating supplies:
- Material, not too thick
- Ribbon 3/8” wide, no wire, 100% cotton or polyester
- Hot glue gun
Cut the material for the lid tops into 5×5 inch squares. If you use different or wide-mouth jars, you may have to play with the size of material.
We used assorted ribbons, sizes, and our recommendation is to use ribbon that is 3/8-inch wide. Ribbon 5/8-inch or more wide will also work, but not our preference. When using satin ribbon with hot glue, lumps and bumps are more obvious. Our ribbon length for the metal rings is 9 1/2 inches.
Assemble with cloth on top of the lid and then secure the metal ring.
Now that we’ve shared our stacked cookie recipe, do you have any other stacked treats that you make? Write us and tell us what you do.
Cookie Mix in a Jar
- 1 quart canning jar with lid
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- The following are the ingredients needed to make 24 cookie jars. Adjust accordingly depending how many jars you will be making. If you plan to make 12, half the ingredients below.
- 24 quart canning jar with lids
- 10 pounds flour
- 12 ounces baking soda
- 1 pound salt
- 3 pounds oats
- 6 pounds brown sugar
- 5 pounds white sugar
- 3 24-ounce bags dried cranberries
- 5 11-ounce bags white chocolate chips
- 3 pounds chopped pecans or walnuts
- Use the following instructions for your own recipe label or tag. We glued our directions to the inside of the lid; if you would like to do the same, click here for a printable PDF.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, beat together 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla until fluffy. Add the entire jar of ingredients, and mix together by hand until well blended. Drop by heaping spoonful onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 14 minutes, or until edges start to brown. Cool on baking sheet, or remove to cool on wire racks.