Happy New Year, everyone! I can’t believe its already 2014.
I am very excited for new beginnings and so inspired to continue to share my two great loves — family and cooking. I’m passionate about food and so thankful to have this platform to share it with all of you.
As a food blogger I have the opportunity to try new products before they hit the market. I love that about my job — it’s pretty darn awesome. Over the summer I tried out new products by Princess House. Anytime Princess House comes out with a new product I know it’s going to be good. They sent me a meatloaf maker, a stainless steel nonstick 5-quart straining pot, and a specialty masher, and asked me to develop recipes for their 2014 product catalog. As you might imagine I love food with a spicy kick so I created a chorizo and chipotle meatloaf drizzled with a spicy chipotle glaze and chipotle mashed sweet potatoes. You might be thinking, “Holy spicy chipotle!” But actually these dishes are not spicy. The chipotle adds a lovely smoky flavor to the entire meal. My children never complained that it was too spicy, so you can guarantee your little ones will enjoy this meal too.
This meal is an updated, healthier, and delicious version of the classic comfort food — meatloaf and mashed potatoes. The meatloaf maker has a silicone drain that allows the fat to drain away, leaving a delicious lower-fat meatloaf. With the new nonstick pot you can cook, drain, and mash the sweet potatoes directly in the pot without damaging the surface. Genius, right? This entire meal makes a simple, quick, healthy, and delicious weeknight meal.
Check out the new Princess House catalog to see all of their great products. On page 11 you will see the details regarding the prices of these products and on page 12 you can find the recipes as well as mini-videos showcasing how the meatloaf maker and nonstick straining pot works.
Chorizo and Chipotle Meatloaf with a Spicy Chipotle Glaze and Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Chorizo & Chipotle Meatloaf
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 6 oz. Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. mustard
- ¼ cup crema Mexican or sour cream
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
Spicy Chipotle Glaze
- 4 roma tomatoes, halved
- ¼ medium white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Salt to taste
Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- Chorizo & Chipotle Meatloaf with a Spicy Chipotle Glaze
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In Skillet, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, and garlic. Cook about 8 minutes, stirring often, until vegetables are tender. Set aside until cool enough to handle. In a large bowl combine the sautéed vegetables, ground beef, chorizo, and minced chipotle chile.
- In a medium bowl, combine the salt, pepper, and eggs. Add the ketchup, mustard, and sour cream. Mix well with a fork and pour it on top of the mixed meats. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and mix thoroughly with clean hands. Place the mixture into Loaf Pan with Healthy Meatloaf Maker and bake 45-50 minutes, until meatloaf reaches 160°F.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. In clean 10” Skillet over medium-high heat, add tomatoes, onion, and garlic cloves. Cook, turning frequently, until lightly charred all over. Peel the garlic cloves. Add all the charred ingredients plus the minced chile to a blender. Blend until smooth and pour into clean 10″ Skillet. Stir in brown sugar and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until slightly thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt, to taste.
- Remove meatloaf from oven, carefully remove the Healthy Meatloaf Maker and place meatloaf on a serving platter. Slice meatloaf and spoon Spicy Chipotle Glazer over top before serving.
- Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Place cubed potatoes in Straining Pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to the pan. Add butter to potatoes and mash with Masher. Add minced chile and salt and continue mashing to combine. Serve immediately.
If you are interested in hosting a Princess House party and/or purchasing Princess House products find a consultant near you.
Written by Yvette / Photos by Princess House
Disclosure: I was compensated for recipe development and this post. All opinions shared about this product are my own.