I have been wanting to bake a chocolate zucchini cake with the zucchini in our garden and was looking for a recipe when my mom reminded me I had made one before. I looked on the blog and realized I never shared it. Silly me! This recipe was originally developed for KitchenAid and I can’t wait to remake it. If you like carrot cake and zucchini bread you will love this recipe combined with exotic Mexican chocolate.
Mexican Chocolate Zucchini Cake with a Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups finely shredded zucchini
- 1 3.3 ounce tablet Mexican chocolate , (recommend Nestle-Abuelita), shredded into a powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Cream cheese glaze:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan.
- Using a stand mixer, beat sugar, oil, and butter until well blended. Gradually beat in buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk sifted flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Gradually combine slowly into sugar mixture.
- Stir in zucchini, Mexican chocolate, and pecans.
- Transfer to a greased pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cake cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Cream cheese glaze:
- In a large mixing bowl cream together butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract using a hand mixer.
- Gradually beat in confectioner’s sugar. Add milk to desired consistency. Don’t make it too thin or it will slide off the cake.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake.
- If you cannot find Mexican chocolate, use regular chocolate and add some cinnamon to the batter.
This recipe was created in partnership with KitchenAid®. All opinions are my own.