Chile Verde con Carne y Papas is similar to a beef stew, but with a punch of spice from the roasted green chiles.
Its soup and stew season and this dish really hits the spot this time of year. While my mom was visiting for the holidays she made lots of classic dishes including this chile verde con carne y papas that is published in the Muy Bueno cookbook.
When I first moved to Colorado people would ask if I knew how to make green chile, and I assumed they were talking about this dish, but actually they were talking about pork green chile. This chile verde is made with beef and also includes potatoes. I crave this dish in the winter with warm corn tortillas.
Every summer I buy a couple bushels of roasted green chiles and store them in my freezer, which makes this dish easy to make anytime of the year.
This dish is similar to a beef stew, but with a punch of spice from the roasted green chiles. Not only is it delicious, but I also love the way it perfumes my home as it cooks. This dish gives you all the comfort and flavor of old-world Mexico.
This dish is a perfect example of how salsa casera could be transformed into a completely different recipe with the addition of just a few other ingredients.
How to serve Chile Verde con Carne y Papas
Chile Verde con Carne y Papas (Green Chile with Beef and Potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or shortening
- 2 1/4 pounds stew beef, diced
- 3 medium russet potatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt plus additional to taste
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups salsa casera
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Place the beef, potatoes, and 1 teaspoon salt in the skillet and cover and cook for about 10 minutes, until meat is cooked and potatoes are tender.
- Uncover and add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add flour and stir at least 2 minutes. Add salsa and water and stir. Let mixture come to a boil. Add additional salt to taste. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Originally published: January 2017. This recipe is also published in the Muy Bueno cookbook.