This Chile con Queso recipe is delicious, spicy, silky, cheesy, and perfect for a crowd! It’s the cheese dip that you’ll be asked for over and over.
Though we don’t always root for the same team, everyone can get behind the once-a-year excesses of the Super Bowl spread. This ooey gooey cheesy appetizer is totally addicting and perfect for the big game. Lactose intolerant folks be afraid, be very afraid!
Anyone who knows me, knows my famous chile con queso. This recipe is my go-to potluck contribution, its easy and a crowd pleaser.
This recipe falls into the Tex-Mex category. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Tex-Mex, but it is definitely not authentic Mexican. So to all our Mexican foodies out there, try it you’ll like it…it’s naughty.
This recipe does not include a can of Rotel. This dip is made with fresh tomatoes and onions and your choice of fresh jalapeños or roasted green chile peppers.
Chile con Queso
- 1 pound Velveeta Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, 16 oz.
- ½ cup water or milk
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 jalapenos or roasted green chile peppers, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- Green onions, chopped
- Combine Velveeta with water in microwaveable bowl and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Mix until Velveeta is completely melted. You may need to add more water or milk depending on your ideal consistency.
- Stir in tomatoes, chile peppers, and onion.
- Garnish with green onions.
Photography by Jeanine Thurston