You might think that my family eats new and creative recipes every night (I wish). Actually there are days I am on the computer and before I know it the time flies by and I’m racing to get dinner on the table. Fajitas with colorful peppers, onions, and spices are usually a favorite choice for a quick weeknight meal.
When my hubby is in charge of fajita making he usually cheats and pulls out a prepackaged seasoning packet, but this time he challenged himself to make his own seasoning blend. As you can imagine you cut the amount of sodium and it’s not that difficult to make.
The next time you are thinking about making fajitas, try making your own seasoning. Remember, it is incredibly forgiving and you can add your own favorite spices for your own twist.
With Cinco de Mayo around the corner plan to make chicken and steak fajitas served with warm flour tortillas and a variety of toppings and let your guests make their own dream tacos.
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 pound chicken breasts, sliced
- ¾ cups of water
- 1 lime, juiced
- Flour tortillas
- Shredded cheese
- Crema Mexicana or sour cream
- Salsa of choice
- Guacamole or avocado slices
- In a bowl combine spices and seasonings and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook and stir until tender. Remove from skillet.
- In the same skillet add 1 tablespoon olive oil, chicken; cook until the internal temperature is 160 degrees.
- Stir in spices and seasoning mixture and water and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; simmer 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return vegetables to skillet and fresh lime juice; cook until heated through. Remove from skillet.
- Fill warm tortillas with chicken, peppers, and onion. Top with your favorite toppings.