I am all about spicy and smoky drinks and this drink is smoky but at the same time very refreshing.
The rim on this cocktail is a mixture of sugar and salt, making this cocktail a flavor explosion of sweet, salty, tangy, with spicy notes.
With summer here, I love a freshly squeezed margarita and this simple margarita with Exotico reposado tequila and orange liqueur combined with charred lime, jalapeño, and nectarine juice is a match made in cocktail heaven.
The charring of the citrus brings out some of the sweetness in the lime and it also gives it some smoky flavors, which work really well with the reposado tequila and highlights the smoky notes in the tequila naturally, giving this cocktail a nice balance.
Exotico reposado tequila has hints of spices, with a finish of oak and pairs perfectly with all the smoky flavors in this cocktail.
Photography by Jenna Sparks
This post is in partnership with Exotico. As always, thank you for reading and for supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.
Charred Citrus and Jalapeño Margarita
- slices of limes and nectarines, optional garnish
- 1 lime, halved
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ jalapeno, seeded
- 4 ounces reposado tequila
- 2 ounces orange liqueur
- 1 lime juice, juiced
- 1 nectarine, juiced
- On a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, arrange slices of limes and nectarines and sprinkle them with sugar and broil them just until sugar crystalizes and the slices are charred.
- On a grill pan, char the lime halves until lightly charred.
- In a shallow dish, combine salt and sugar. Moisten two cocktail glasses with a lime and rim the glasses with the salt-sugar mixture. Fill glasses with ice and set aside.
- Muddle charred lime and jalapeño in a cocktail shaker.
- Add tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, and nectarine juice and fill with ice. Shake cocktail shaker until frosted.
- Strain drink into prepared glasses and garnish with broiled lime and nectarines slices, if using.