When it comes to Valentine’s Day I’m not a red and pink kinda girl. I love rustic desserts that are not overly sweet or complicated. When trying to think of a romantic dessert I wanted to share a treat that not only girls would like, but guys and children would enjoy too.
These cookies are made with Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening Baking Sticks. Crisco® shortening delivers higher, lighter-textured baked goods while also keeping them moist and tender. They also come in a measurable, easy-to-use package. Adding orange extract and orange zest to the dough gives these soft and tender cookies a subtle citrus flavor.
The only thing better than a cookie is a cookie with a filling. These Mexican inspired cookies will melt in your mouth and melt your heart. They are filled with cajeta, which is a thick and sweet confection made from sweetened caramelised goat’s milk. If you’d like to make homemade cajeta refer to this blog post, otherwise I’d recommend a squeezable store-bought bottle of cajeta for convenience.
I’ve teamed up with Crisco®, as a Crisco® Creator, to help inspire home cooks with new recipe ideas and cooking and baking tips. Visit Crisco.com or search #CriscoCreators on social media to find more great recipes.
Cajeta Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 stick Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening Baking Sticks
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon orange extract
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ½ cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- Cajeta (recommend squeeze bottle)
- Beat shortening, water, sugars, orange extract, orange zest, and salt at medium speed with an electric mixer 3 to 5 minutes until creamy.
- Add flour; beat until blended.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls (about 1 tablespoon per ball).
- Places 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Press thumb or end of a wooden spoon into each ball, forming an indentation. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake 15 minutes or until bottoms are light golden brown. Cool on baking sheets 10 minutes. Squeeze ½ teaspoon cajeta into each indentation.
I’d love to see what you cook!
Tag #MUYBUENOCOOKING if you make this recipe.
As a participant of a Crisco® Ambassador Program, I’ve received compensation for my time and product samples for review purposes. Opinions are my own.