Breakfast burritos…this was our staple breakfast growing up. It’s kind of crazy, I just realized I don’t have any burritos on this blog. How crazy is that? So here it is, a warm flour tortilla filled with only three ingredients — spicy pork chorizo, scrambled eggs, and melted cheese for an easy breakfast on-the-go.
My mom would always make us burritos de huevos con chorizo for a road trip. It was the perfect portable food to take wrapped in aluminum foil, and opened in the car to enjoy as you gaze out the window. Eating a breakfast burrito in the car is so comforting and always made me feel loved.
What’s not to love about the luscious texture of scrambled eggs combined with spicy Mexican sausage wrapped in a warm flour tortilla? If the flour tortilla was homemade, even better.
Sure, you can use shredded cheese, but I selected slices of Applegate Naturals American-Style Colby Cheese. The cheese is made with quality milk from humanely raised cows, it’s Non-GMO Project Verified, and is made from pure, simple ingredients – never artificial. The cheese is creamy, flavorful, and melted beautifully. Using sliced cheese is great because you are guaranteed to enjoy cheese in every single bite.
The Applegate Naturals new cheese line offers an array of products to enhance everything from sandwiches, quesadillas, and easy snacking. As a mother, I can feel good about eating and serving it to my family, especially knowing that this cheese has no added colors or artificial ingredients.
The Applegate Naturals American-Style Colby cheese is creamy and buttery, with a hint of a cheddar flavor. It melts wonderfully and delivers that gooey stretch you expect in the perfect breakfast burrito.
This recipe makes six burritos, which is great to feed a crowd or have breakfast prepped for the week.
If you want to get really fancy, top the burritos with another slice of cheese and smother it with warm pork green chile. Of course, that’s if you plan to stay home and enjoy your burrito with a big cup of coffee and maybe a football game.
Burritos de Huevos con Chorizo (Egg and Chorizo Breakfast Burritos)
- 8 ounces Mexican pork chorizo, casings removed
- 6 flour tortillas
- 12 slices of Applegate Naturals American-Style Colby Cheese
- 8 eggs
- Pork green chile (optional)
- Fry the chorizo in a large nonstick skillet crumbling it until cooked thoroughly for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk eggs and then add them to skillet and combine for 2 to 3 minutes or until eggs are cooked thoroughly.
- Heat tortillas on a comal, place two slices of Applegate Naturals American-Style Colby Cheese on the tortilla and spoon a bit of egg and chorizo down the middle of the tortilla.
- Fold in edges and roll. Wrap in parchment or foil.
- If desired, add a slice of cheese over burritos and smother with pork green chile.
I’d love to see what you cook!
Tag #MUYBUENOCOOKING if you make this recipe.
Photography by Jenna Sparks
This blog post has been sponsored by Applegate – all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support my blog.