My kiddos started school a couple weeks ago and back to school lunches are in full effect. My son is now 10 years old and eats just as much as his big sister who is now a junior in high school.
He no longer orders from the kid’s menu and his sandwiches are no longer half sandwiches. He’s a growing boy and loves tortas.
My mom used to make tortas for us when we were kids and every time I make one I am reminded of the times I would eat them as a kid. They were a staple for road trips and summer gatherings at the lake.
These tortas are just like the ones my mom used to make but with the addition of some added goodies like bacon and instead of avocado slices I included an avocado mayonnaise.
I love to make BLTs in the summer, when my garden tomatoes are bursting with flavor. Adding avocado makes it a BLTA. Instead of using slices of avocado, which can slip out of the torta, this recipe combines avocado with mayonnaise.
Creamy avocado becomes an amazing sandwich spread when mixed with a touch of mayo making it a healthy condiment. It’s particularly good on a BLTA, but what’s a BLTTA you ask? Bacon, lettuce, tomato, turkey, and avocado.
This bolillo includes Applegate Natural Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, which I am happy to serve my children. No antibiotics ever and simple, clean ingredients, nothing artificial. And we all know bacon makes everything better and this good old-fashioned hardwood smoked bacon makes this torta amazing.
The addition of bacon in this torta is a perfect balance of sweet, salty, smoky, and crunchy.
Head over to my Instagram stories to learn about a contest that @thefeedfeed is running and how you can enter for a chance to win an awesome prize.
- 2 bolillos
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and coarsely mashed
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- kosher salt, to taste
- 4 slices Applegate Natural Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
- 4 slices cooked Applegate Organics Sunday Bacon Brand
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- Cut bolillos in half lengthwise.
- In a small bowl, combine the avocado and mayonnaise and mix well. Season with salt.
- To assemble tortas, spread avocado mayonnaise on torta. Add bacon, lettuce, tomato, and turkey.
- This bolillo includes Applegate Natural Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, which I am happy to serve my children. No antibiotics ever and simple, clean ingredients, nothing artificial. And we all know bacon makes everything better and this good old-fashioned hardwood smoked bacon makes this torta amazing.
Photography by Jenna Sparks