Berry Brownie Pizza + Video
My daughter is obsessed with anything chocolate and my son is all about vanilla or cream cheese, and I love incorporating fresh seasonal produce to my dessert. This dessert is a nod to all of our favorites.
I love baking in my cast iron skillet and decided to bake brownies. When baking in your skillet it is important to grease your pan properly and I always grease with Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening Baking Sticks using a paper towel.
Sure you can make brownies from scratch, but I chose a shortcut with Pillsbury Purely Simple Chocolate Chunk Brownie Mix — these brownies are moist and oh so chocolaty. The mix is readily available in grocery stores nationwide and a great deal for the price. All you have to do is make the brownies according to the directions on the box. Bake them in a cast iron skillet until toothpick inserted in center of brownies comes out with few moist crumbs. Allow the brownies to cool and then the fun part begins.
My favorite frosting is hands down cream cheese frosting! This is my moms recipe — sweet but not too sweet. It’s light, fluffy, and creamy. Top the “pizza” with homemade cream cheese frosting. Be sure not to frost all the way to the edge – let the brownie crust show so that it looks like a pizza.
Garnish with strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. This patriotic dessert would sweeten any summer potluck or picnic. Watch this video to see how easy it is to make.
Berry Brownie Pizza
- 1 box Pillsbury Chocolate Chunk Brownie Mix
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup Crisco Pure Canola Oil
- 1 tablespoon Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening Baking Stick, to grease skillet
- assorted berries, such as strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries
Cream cheese frosting:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 package, 8-ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Use a paper towel and grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet with baking stick.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the brownie mix, egg, water, and oil. Stir until just combined. Pour into the greased skillet and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake for about 25 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with few moist crumbs.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in confectioner’s sugar. Add milk to desired consistency.
- Spread frosting over brownies, leaving a half-inch edge so that it looks like a pizza.
- Garnish with strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries.
- Refrigerate to let frosting set. Slice into wedges and serve.
A special thanks to Crisco for sponsoring this blog post and video. As a participant of the Crisco Ambassador Program, I’ve received compensation for my time and product samples for review purposes. Opinions are my own.