Last week I was swamped with big projects and deadlines and by the end of the week I was exhausted and ready for a glass of wine (or two, ok, maybe three), and an evening of no cooking.
As tired as I was, I still wanted to celebrate with friends and hosted a premier party to share the new Dia de los Muertos video. I served a self-serve bruschetta bar and made a no-cook salsa with garden tomatillos.
Luckily for me my fridge was filled with delicious cheeses from Président Cheese and Cabot Cheese that were begging to be shared. And Vagabond House sent me a gorgeous cheese platter, so it was as if this get together was meant to be.
My bruschetta platter included slices of membrillo (quince paste) which I was thrilled to find at my local grocery store, tangy and spicy homemade avocado and tomatillo salsa (recipe below), a spicy and sweet fire-roasted green chile jelly, delicious homemade apricot preserves made by my friend Lola, prosciutto, and an assortment of cheeses.
Everyone topped their own toasted slice of bread or cracker with their choice of toppings — it was heavenly. There was no cooking and no clean up. I need to entertain like this more often!
Avocado and Tomatillo Salsa + Toppings for Bruschetta Bar
Avocado and Tomatillo Salsa:
- 4 tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed, quartered
- 1 or 2 serrano peppers, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
- ½ onion, quartered
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 baguette French bread, sliced into half-inch pieces, brushed with olive oil, and toasted
- Water crackers
- Assorted cheeses, Brie, camembert, aged cheddar, manchego
- Garlic & Herbs spreadable cheese
- Membrillo, quince paste
- Place the tomatillo, serrano, garlic, avocado, onion, cilantro, and salt in a blender and blend. Do not over blend. Salsa should be chunky. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Let everyone top their own toasted slice of bread or cracker with their choice of toppings.No cooking and no clean up.
- The nutritions facts are for one serving of salsa.